Jason
Jason, TOYOTA MASTER DIAGNOSTIC TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERT. 15 YRS EXP.
24248385

01 Toyota Sequoia: my exhaust manifold needs to be replaced

How do I know when my exhaust manifold needs to be replaced and how much should it cost ('01 Toyota Sequoia)?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Jason replied 4 years ago.
What is wrong with the car?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
That's just the thing...nothing. I had it at the dealership to replace a headlamp and they told me that the front brake pads were at 10% and needed to be replaced. The following week I brought the vehicle in for the brakes and they told me that it needs to have the exhaust manifold replaced. Every time I bring it in, they find something else wrong with it. It's an '01 with 86K miles on it, and taken care of. I've read plenty online about the exhaust manifolds being a trouble spot with older Sequoias, but I don't have any symptoms.
Expert:  Jason replied 4 years ago.

Its pretty common for the old sequoias and land cruisers to have leaking manifolds.

The only symptom is the car with have an exhaust leak on cold starts, This may be something you are use to, and its not a big deal, nor a safety concern.

I would just ignore the recommendation. Its not a necessary investment, especially, if its so minor, you are not even noticing it.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What's the down-side to waiting? Will it cause more damage and result in a more expensive repair later? Is there any potential for damaging other components if it isn't fixed now?
Expert:  Jason replied 4 years ago.

No, none at all. worst case is they leak so much, they may throw a check engine light. because a faulty oxygen sensor reading.

However, I've never seen it happen.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I did have to replace an O2 sensore several months ago. What should the repair cost? I think the dealership told my wife it would be just shy of $2K.
Expert:  Jason replied 4 years ago.
$2000 For manifolds?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yep, they told her that it would be about $1900 and take about 12 hours.
Expert:  Jason replied 4 years ago.

Warranty time is 10 hrs, however, with the correct tools, its not that difficult.

12hrs is a bit excessive.

Anyone who has done them before, knows that 10hrs is more than enough.

Toyota parts prices are all the same.

When I go to work tomorrow, I can get you a more exact price including parts.

Then you can call around and shop it.

To be honest, I would just leave it alone, its not worth the investment.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Works for me. Would you mind pricing it out and sending me the data so I have it? Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Jason replied 4 years ago.
Yes, I will do it tomorrow.
Expert:  Jason replied 4 years ago.

At my dealer the cost would be. $1525.00 + tax

Parts are $466.00, the rest is labor

Experience: ASE MASTER CERT. 15 YRS EXP.