George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ years
13574682

how to set the camshaft timing on a 1999 toyota rav4

Customer Question

how to set the camshaft timing on a 1999 toyota rav4?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

Here is the procedure to set up your timing belt, let me know if you have further questions about this

Thank you

REMOVAL

1. DISCONNECT PS RESERVOIR AND REMOVE RESERVOIR BRACKET
  2. DISCONNECT WIRE HARNESS BRACKET FOR DLC1
  3. REMOVE GENERATOR
  4. REMOVE GENERATOR BRACKET
  5. w/ ABS: REMOVE NO.3 ABS ACTUATOR BRACKET
  6. REMOVE RIGHT-HAND FRONT WHEEL
  7. REMOVE RIGHT-HAND ENGINE UNDER COVER

1. REMOVE PS PUMP DRIVE BELT
    1. Loosen the bolt A.
    2. Using Special Service Tool(SST) and a deep socket wrench, loosen the bolt B. (SST) 09249-63010
    3. Remove the drive belt.

1. SLIGHTLY JACK UP ENGINE Attach the jack to the oil pan, and raise the engine enough to remove the weight from the engine mounting on the right sides
  2. REMOVE RIGHT-HAND ENGINE MOUNTING INSULATOR
  3. REMOVE SPARK PLUGS
  4. REMOVE CRANKSHAFT PULLEY

1. Using SST (and bolt), remove the pulley bolt. SST 09213-54015 (91651-60855 for Type A), 09330-00021 Bolt: Part No. 91121-40665 for Type B HINT:
    • Either of 2 types of pulley may be used, each with its own bolt size, Type A and Type B.
    • When using bolt Type B. a plate washer must be inserted between the bolt and SST.

1. Using SST, remove the pulley. SST 09950-50010 (09951-05010, 09952-05010, 09953-05010, 09953-05020, 09954-05020 for Type A; 09954-05010 for Type B)

1. REMOVE RIGHT-HAND ENGINE MOUNTING BRACKET Using SST, remove the 3 bolts and mounting bracket. SST 09249 - 63010

1. REMOVE NO.2 TIMING BELT COVER
    1. Disconnect the engine wire from the timing belt cover.
    2. Remove the 4 bolts and timing belt cover.
  1. TEMPORARILY INSTALL CRANKSHAFT PULLEY
    1. Align the pulley set key with the key groove of the pulley, and slide on the pulley.
    2. Temporarily install the pulley bolt.

1. SET NO.1 CYLINDER TO TOP DEAD CENTER (TDC) /COMPRESSION
    1. Turn the crankshaft pulley and align its groove with timing mark "0" of the No.1 timing belt cover.
    2. Check that the hole of the camshaft timing pulley is aligned with the timing mark of the bearing cap. If not, turn the crankshaft 1 revolution (360°).
  1. REMOVE TIMING BELT FROM CAMSHAFT TIMING PULLEY

HINT: (When re-using timing belt): Place matchmarks on the timing belt and camshaft timing pulley, and place matchmark on timing belt to match the end of the No.1 timing belt cover.

1. Loosen the mounting bolt of the No. 1 idler pulley and shift the pulley toward the left as far as it will go, and temporarily tighten it.
  2. Remove the timing belt from the camshaft timing pulley.

1. REMOVE CAMSHAFT TIMING PULLEY Using SST, remove the pulley bolt and timing pulley. SST 09249-63010, 09960-10010 (09962 - 01000, 09963 - 01000)
  2. REMOVE CRANKSHAFT PULLEY HINT: (When re-using timing belt): Remove the pulley without turning it.

1. REMOVE NO.1 TIMING BELT COVER
  1. REMOVE TIMING BELT GUIDE

1. REMOVE TIMING BELT HINT: (When re-using timing belt): Draw a direction arrow on the timing belt (in the direction of engine revolution), and place match marks on the timing belt and crankshaft timing pulley.
  2. REMOVE NO.1 IDLER PULLEY AND TENSION SPRING
  3. REMOVE NO.2 IDLER PULLEY

1. REMOVE CRANKSHAFT TIMING PULLEY If the pulley cannot be removed by hand, use SST to remove the timing pulley. SST 09950-50012 (09951 -05010, 09952-05010, 09953-05010, 09953-05020, 09954-05010) NOTICE: Do not scratch the angle sensor of the timing pulley.

1. REMOVE OIL PUMP PULLEY Using SST, remove the nut and pulley. SST 09960-10010 (09962-01000, 09963-00600)

INSPECTION

1. INSPECT TIMING BELT

NOTICE:

• Do not bend, twist or turn the timing belt inside out.
  • Do not allow the timing belt to come into contact with oil, water or steam.
  • Do not utilize timing belt tension when installing or removing the mounting bolt of the camshaft timing pulley.

If there are any defects as shown in the illustration, check these points:

1. Premature parting
    • Check for proper installation.
    • Check the timing cover gasket for damage and proper installation.
  1. If the belt teeth are cracked or damaged, check to see if either camshaft or water pump is locked.
  2. If there is noticeable wear or cracks on the belt face, check to see if there are nicks on the side of the idler pulley lock.

1. If there is wear or damage on only one side of the belt, check the belt guide and the alignment of each pulley.
  2. If there is noticeable wear on the belt teeth, check the timing cover for damage, correct gasket installation, and for foreign material on the pulley teeth. If necessary, replace the timing belt.
    1. INSPECT IDLER PULLEYS Check that the idler pulley turns smoothly. If necessary, replace the idler pulley.

1. INSPECT TENSION SPRING
      1. Measure the free length of tension spring. Free length: 42.0 mm (1.653 inch) If the free length is not as specified, replace the tension spring.
      2. Measure the tension of the tension spring at the specified installed length. Installed tension (at 50.5 mm (1.988 inch) ): 31 - 38 N (3.15 - 3.85 kgf, 7.0 - 8.5 ft. lbs.) If the installed tension is not as specified, replace the tension spring.

INSTALLATION

1. INSTALL OIL PUMP PULLEY
    1. Align the cutouts of the pulley and shaft, and slide on the pulley.
    2. Using Special Service Tool(SST) , install the nut. (SST) 09960-10010 (09962-01000, 09963-00600) Torque: 24 Nm (245 kgf.cm, 18 ft. lbs.)

1. INSTALL CRANKSHAFT TIMING PULLEY
    1. Align the timing pulley set key with the key groove of the pulley.
    2. Install the timing pulley, facing the sensor side inward. NOTICE: Do not scratch the sensor part of the crankshaft timing pulley.

1. INSTALL NO.2 IDLER PULLEY
    1. Install the pulley with the bolt. Torque: 42 Nm (425 kgf.cm, 31 ft. lbs.) HINT: Use a bolt 35 mm (1.38 inch) in length.
    2. Check that the idler pulley moves smoothly.
  1. TEMPORARILY INSTALL NO.1 IDLER PULLEY AND TENSION SPRING
    1. Align the bracket pin hole with the pivot pin.
    2. Install the pulley with the bolt. Do not tighten the bolt yet.

HINT: Use a bolt 42 mm (1.65 inch) in length.

1. Install the tension spring.

1. Pry the pulley toward the left as far as it will go and tighten the bolt.
  1. TEMPORARILY INSTALL TIMING BELT NOTICE: The engine should be cold.

1. Using the crankshaft pulley bolt, turn the crankshaft and position the key groove of the crankshaft timing pulley upward.
  2. Remove any oil or water on the crankshaft pulley, oil pump pulley, water pump pulley, No.1 idler pulley and No.2 idler pulley, and keep them clean.

1. Install the timing belt on the crankshaft timing pulley, oil pump pulley, No.1 idler pulley, water pump pulley and No.2 idler pulley. HINT: (When re-using timing belt): Align the points marked during removal, and install the belt with the arrow pointing in the direction of engine revolution.

1. INSTALL TIMING BELT GUIDE Install the guide, facing the cup side outward.

1. INSTALL NO.1 TIMING BELT COVER
    1. Check that the timing belt cover gaskets has no cracks or peeling, etc. If the gasket has cracks or peeling, etc., replace it using these steps:
    • Using a screwdriver and gasket scraper, remove all the old gasket material.
    • Thoroughly clean all components to remove all the loose material.
    • Remove the backing paper from a new gasket and install the gasket evenly to the part of the timing belt cover shaded black in the illustration.
    • After installing the gasket, press down on it so that the adhesive firmly sticks to the timing belt cover.
    1. Install the timing belt cover with the 5 bolts.
    2. Install the engine wire to the timing belt cover.
    1. Align the pulley set key with the key groove of the pulley and slide on the pulley.
    2. Temporarily install the pulley bolt.

1. INSTALL CAMSHAFT TIMING PULLEY
    1. Align the camshaft knock pin with the knock pin groove of the pulley, and slide on the timing pulley.
    2. Using SST, install the bolt. SST 09249-63010, 09960-10010 (09962-01000, 09963-01000) Torque: 54 Nm (550 kgf.cm, 40 ft. lbs.) 37 Nm (380 kgf.cm, 27 ft. lbs.) for SST HINT: Use a torque wrench with a fulcrum length of 340 cm (13.39 inch) .

1. Turn the crankshaft pulley, and align its groove with timed mark "0" of the No.1 timing belt cover.
    2. Using SST, turn the camshaft, and align the hole of the camshaft timing pulley with the timing mark of the bearing cap. SST 09960-10010 (09962-01000, 09963-01000)
  1. INSTALL TIMING BELT

HINT: (When re-using timing belt): Check that the matchmark on the timing belt matches the end of the No.1 timing belt cover.

If the matchmark does not align, align as follows:

• When matchmark is misaligned clockwise: Align the matchmark by pulling the timing belt up on the water pump pulley side while turning the crankshaft pulley counterclockwise.

• When matchmark is misaligned clockwise: After aligning the matchmark, hold the timing belt, turn the crankshaft pulley clockwise, and align its groove with timing mark "0" of the No.1 timing belt cover.

• When matchmark is misaligned counterclockwise: Align the matchmark by pulling the timing belt up on the No.1 idler pulley side while turning the crankshaft pulley clockwise.

• When matchmark is misaligned counterclockwise: After aligning the matchmark, hold the timing belt, turn the crankshaft pulley counterclockwise, and align its groove with timing mark "0" of the No.1 timing belt cover.
  1. Remove any oil or water on the camshaft timing pulley, and keep it clean.

1. Align the matchmarks of the timing belt and camshaft timing pulley.
  2. Install the timing belt, and check the tension between the crankshaft timing pulley and camshaft timing pulley.
    1. CHECK VALVE TIMING
      1. Loosen the No.1 idler pulley bolt 1/2 turn.

1. Slowly turn the crankshaft pulley 2 revolutions from TDC to TDC. NOTICE: Always turn the crankshaft clockwise.

1. Check that each pulley aligns with the timing marks as shown in the illustration. If the timing marks do not align, remove the timing belt and reinstall it.

1. Slowly turn the crankshaft pulley 1 and 7/8 revolutions, and align its groove with the mark at 45°BTDC (for No.1 cylinder) of the No.1 timing belt cover. NOTICE: Always turn the crankshaft clockwise.
      2. Torque the mounting bolt of the No.1 idler pulley. Torque: 42 Nm (425 kgf.cm, 31 ft. lbs.)

1. PLACE RIGHT-HAND ENGINE MOUNTING BRACKET IN POSITION HINT: Do not install the bolts.
    2. INSTALL NO.2 TIMING BELT COVER

1. Disconnect the engine wire protector between the cylinder head cover and No.3 timing belt cover.
  2. Install the No.2 timing belt cover with the 4 bolts.
  3. Install the engine wire to the No.2 timing belt cover.

1. Install the engine wire protector to the 2 mounting bolts of the No.2 timing belt cover in the sequence shown.
    1. REMOVE CRANKSHAFT PULLEY

1. INSTALL RIGHT-HAND ENGINE MOUNTING BRACKET Using SST, install the mounting bracket with 3 bolts. SST 09249-63010 Torque: 52 Nm (530 kgf.cm, 38 ft. lbs.) 35 Nm (360 kgf.cm, 26 ft. lbs.) for SST HINT: Use a torque wrench with a fulcrum length of 340 mm (13.39 inch)

1. INSTALL CRANKSHAFT PULLEY
      2. Using SST (and bolt), install the pulley bolt. SST 09213-54015 (91651-60855 for Type A), 09330-00021 Bolt: Part No. 91121-40665 for Type B Torque: 108 Nm (1,100 kgf.cm, 80 ft. lbs.)
    1. INSTALL SPARK PLUGS
    2. INSTALL RIGHT-HAND ENGINE MOUNTING INSULATOR

1. Attach the mounting insulator to the body and mounting bracket with the 4 bolts and 2 nuts.
  2. Tighten the 3 bolts holding the mounting insulator to the body. Torque: 52 Nm (530 kgf.cm, 38 ft. lbs.)

1. Tighten the 2 nuts and bolt holding the mounting insulator to the mounting bracket. Torque: Bolt: 37 Nm (380 kgf.cm, 27 ft. lbs.) Nut: 52 Nm (530 kgf.cm, 38 ft. lbs.)
    1. INSTALL AND ADJUST PS PUMP DRIVE BELT
    2. INSTALL RIGHT-HAND ENGINE UNDER COVER
    3. INSTALL RIGHT-HAND FRONT WHEEL
    4. w/ABS: INSTALL NO.3 ABS ACTUATOR BRACKET

1. INSTALL GENERATOR BRACKET
      1. Install the bracket with the 3 bolts. Torque: 42 Nm (425 kgf.cm, 31 ft. lbs.)
      2. Connect the ground strap connector.
    1. INSTALL GENERATOR
    2. INSTALL WIRE HARNESS BRACKET FOR DLC1
    3. INSTALL PS RESERVOIR BRACKET AND RESERVOIR

Here is the procedure to set the cams themselves

1. INSTALL INTAKE CAMSHAFTS NOTICE: Since the thrust clearance of the camshaft is small, camshaft must be kept level while it is being installed. If the camshaft is not kept level, the portion of the cylinder head receiving the shaft thrust may crack or be damaged, causing the camshaft to seize or break. To avoid this, the following steps should be carried out.
    1. Apply MP grease to the thrust portion of the camshaft.

1. Place the intake camshaft at 80 - 115°BTDC of camshaft angle on the cylinder head. HINT: The above angle arrows the No.1 and No.3 cylinder cam lobes of the intake camshaft to push their valve lifters evenly.

1. Apply MP grease to a new oil seal lip.
    2. Install the oil seal as far as the deepest part of the cylinder head.

1. Apply seal packing to the No.1 bearing cap as shown. Seal packing: Part No.08826-00080 or equivalent

1. Install the bearing caps in their proper locations.
    2. Apply a light coat of engine oil on the threads and under the heads of the bearing cap bolts.

1. Install and uniformly tighten the 10 bearing cap bolts, in several passes, in the sequence shown. Torque: 19 Nm (190 kgf.cm, 14 ft. lbs.)
  1. INSTALL EXHAUST CAMSHAFT NOTICE: Since the thrust clearance of the camshaft is small, the camshaft must be kept level while it is being installed. If the camshaft is not kept level, the portion of the cylinder head receiving the shaft thrust may crack or be damaged, causing the camshaft to seize or break. To avoid this, the following steps should be carried out.

1. Set the knock pin of the intake camshaft at 10 - 45°BTDC of camshaft angle. HINT: The above angle allows the No.2 and No.4 cylinder cam lobes of the exhaust camshaft to push their valve lifters evenly.
  2. Apply Multipurpose (MP) grease to the thrust portion of the camshaft.

1. Engage the exhaust camshaft gear to the intake camshaft gear by matching the timing marks on each gear.
  2. Roll down the exhaust camshaft onto the bearing journals while engaging gears with each other. NOTICE: There are also assembly reference marks on each gear as shown in the illustration. Do not use these marks.
  3. Turn the intake camshaft clockwise or counterclockwise a little until the exhaust camshaft sits in the bearing journals evenly without rocking the camshaft on the bearing journals. NOTICE: It is very important to replace the camshaft in the bearing journals evenly while tightening bearing caps in the subsequent steps.

1. Install and uniformly tighten the 10 bearing cap bolts several passes, in the sequence shown. Torque: 19 Nm (190 kgf.cm, 14 ft. lbs.)
  2. Remove the service bolt B.