Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

1998 Toyota Camry: steering wheel..locks..unlock..the key

why my 1998 Toyota Camry steering wheel locks sometimes and will not unlock and the key will not turn this sometimes last for one hour or more or half an hour it varies.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 4 years ago.

Can you please clarify are you saying that when you initially get in the vehicle and try and turn the ignition key to key will not work in the lock cylinder? If or When this happens have you tried to move the steering wheel (forcibly as you attempt to turn the ignition key?

Skyvisions

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes i have tried rocking th steering wheel to un lock it but it would not unlock so the key will not turn.

Have you tried any other keys do they make any difference if you use them? Does the steering wheel move ever so slightly and you can feel it against the lock in both directions?

Skyvisions

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes i have tried other keys and none work and the steering wheel does not move any at all to the piont i was about to go to work one day and it totally lock on me i had to leave and get to work by other source then when i got home after a few tries again it finally unlocked i was able to start it then, ao i have tried everything possible when it happens.

At this point it sounds like the ignition lock cylinder is worn out or has gone bad again. There are a couple of options that you can try before you replace the ignition lock cylinder. One is spray WD-40 down into the lock cylinder then use compressed air like you would use to clean your keyboard and blow the lock cylinder out. Do this a couple times with WD-40 and compressed air and see if you can free up the lock cylinder otherwise you will have to replace the lock cylinder again. If the tumblers are sticking or binding it will not allow the steering wheel to unlock or the ignition switch to turn.

Skyvisions

Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Toyota Master Diagnostic