Anthony, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Automobile Technician with over 20 years exp. in this field.

RAV4 Will Not Engage into 2nd,4th or Reverse Gear

My 1998 Rav4 5 speed manual will not engage into 2nd, 4th or reverse gear. I feels like the stick is bouncing off rubber. 1st, 3rd and 5th seem ok at the moment. Do you know what is causing this and how to fix it? Thanks. I'm in the Brisbane Area.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Anthony replied 6 years ago.

Hello! Welcome to justanswer!

It looks like one of the shifter cables is bad. That would cause the sifter to not work right in the gears you listed. I would replace both cables and the hardware with them. See the diagram below for an idea of where the cables go. If the cables look fine and move well and no problem is found then the problem is inside the trans maybe a broken shift fork or bent linkage inside the trans.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thanks Anthony, that was helpful. Is this an expensive job, parts wise??

Expert:  Anthony replied 6 years ago.
The cables are about $350 installed but the trans could be much more. Someone has to see if the cables are moving right. If they are then the trans has something wrong inside. Hopefully one of the clips in the diagram fell off which is real cheap. Like $4 plus putting it on.