Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

replaced my battery. Now the check engine light is on...topped

I just replaced my battery. Now the "check engine" light is on. All fluids are fresh and topped up. What gives?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 6 years ago.

HelloCustomer

I'm Chris, Thanks for allowing me to help you here on Just Answer.

When you drive a vehicle it learns. It changes things about the engine to make it run the best it can. It does this continually and sometimes this means sensors or valves get pushed beyond there normal working limits just to keep the vehicle running its best.

When your battery dies and or you replace it. The computer loses all this info. So it must relearn. It now looks over all these solenoids and valves and sensors. Now its seeing one way out of specs and to far to adjust. So it just flags it as bad.

Your options are to drive it about a week if everything feels fine and see if it goes out. if it does not then you need to retrieve these codes with a scan tool so you know what repairs to make.