Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

1998 Toyota: engage..4-wheel drive shifter and indicator..dash board

Customer Question

the 4-wheel drive system on my 1998 Toyota 4-runner seems to have suddenly stopped working? I have an automatic and I usually engage by pushing in button on 4-wheel drive shifter and indicator will light up on dash board panel...now it doesn't and I don't feel that transmission shift like I used to when it engaged? what should I try?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 6 years ago.

Do any of the 4wd lights come on or flash?

Skyvisions

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
nothing....usually I see the green 4-wheel drive diagram light up...owned it almost 2 years, never had a problem with 4-wheel drive working

There is a 20 amp 4WD fuse in the fuse box under the driver side in instrument panel doublecheck this fuse make sure it is good. If you manually shift from

4H to 4L then push the 2-4 does it make any difference. Do any of the lights illuminate? Try doing all of these things while the vehicle is in park then try doing it in neutral and shifting from reverse to drive. Let me know what you find.

Skyvisions

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Fuse looks good, tried what you suggested- no lights at all

Most of the time what you find is the transfer actuator probably is bad. Unfortunately in order to replace this actuator assembly the transfer case has to be removed and disassembled. There is no way to really service the actuator itself it is sold as an assembly.

Skyvisions

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
What's the ball park range that I would pay a mechanic to do this (parts & labor)?

The shift actuator retails for about $1100. The labor will vary from shop to shop but figure 6.0 to as high as 9.0 hours in labor times your local labor rate which is averaging about 90 or $100 an hour. If you go to www.MetroToyotapartsnow.com you can buy this actuator online for wholesale prices at about $750.

I would take this to a shop and have them try and power up the drive motor on the actuator itself to see if they can force it to start to move. Sometimes if you apply power and ground to the actuator circuit motor itself then tap on the actuator with a hammer sometimes it will jar it loose far enough to allow to shift into four-wheel drive. The actuator on the front differential needs inspect it also.

Skyvisions

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for your help. I'm not convinced that the problem is this serious. It has been working beautifully and now nothing. I hoped that we could figure out a solution without the big expense of shop but I guess that's my only choice at this point.

You are welcome. Your only other option would be to check and inspect the vacuum switching valves located on the driver's inner fender by the power brake booster. These switching valves control vacuum to the actuator on the front differential.

Skyvisions