Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic

Neither of my rear speakers work on my 1999 Toyota Camry. Front

Customer Question

Neither of my rear speakers work on my 1999 Toyota Camry. Front Speakers work fine.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 6 years ago.

Climb in the trunk and see if the wires have gotten broken off from the back of the speakers this is common. If the speakers and wire connections are intact your only option is to try a generic speaker at the connector wires that go to the speakers to see if the signal is getting back there. Otherwise you will need to test the radio perhaps the rear channel is bad.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

All of the wiring is OK. I removed one of the speakers and brought it to a local car audio shop and they said the speaker "did not test".

If I try a generic speaker does it have to be a 7ohm? Or will a 4 ohm be OK. Also, is there a seperate amp that drives the rear speakers.

Thanks for your help !

Either one of those speakers will work. There is not a separate amplifier for the rear speakers. If you have the stereo system with a separate amplifier that amplifier would drive all four speakers. Likewise the amplifier that is built into the radio drives all four speakers but sometimes the channels in the radio can go bad back to the rear speakers. Like I mentioned above the easiest way is to just put a new speaker that is known good to work if it does not have any sound then you're probably looking at a bad radio unit. Very rarely do we ever see any wiring issues or connector issues between the speakers and the radio. On occasion I have seen the amplifiers go bad if you have the separate amplifier style radio system.