Mastertech 1
Mastertech 1, Toyota Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician with over 30 years of experience, including Toyota and Toyota Hybrid.

1991 toyota pickup: running lights..dash lights..pedal..brake lights

Customer Question

i have a 1991 toyota pickup and the parking lights , brake running lights and dash lights have all quit. I spliced into the right side parking light and since then there has been no power to these three areas. I can push in pedal and have brake lights. I turn the switch once and hear the relay click over so there is power at the switch. I used a test light on the fuse block for "tail" and there is no power at the tail fuse. What does this mean?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Mastertech 1 replied 6 years ago.
From what you are saying then you need to replace the muli-function switch, You are not getting power to the tail light relay(source of power to the relay is the multi-function switch) Replace the switch! Thank-you, Have a Very Merry Christmas!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
is the tail light relay the one right above the fuse block?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
well when i turn the switch for the running lamps i can hear the relay what does this mean?
This means that the circuit is complete from the switch!You need to look down line from the relay to the lights!(you have checked all fuses correct?)Inside the drivers panel and the under hood panel?And the voltage is good?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes sir i checked all of the fuses inside the kick panel and under the hood panel. the strange thing is there were no fuses blown. the voltage was not good at the tail fuse. where should i look?
Then at this point I would look for any breaks in the wiring going back to the lights< there might have been varmet damage/or pinched wires due to a last repair(like a trans removed, or just wire hanging down and got snaged! Verifiy that you have pos+ and ground- at the tail lights if you are missing one of these then let me know?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
well i dont have the brake running lights. but when i push in the brake lights they come i assume that this means that they are getting power. if there are no power at the rear lights could this be the cause of the problem?
No this means that you have brake light power only! Do you have dash lights?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no dash lights. no parking lights or brake running lights.