Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

1994 toyota camry le: 2.2..get the starter to run..selinoid..engage

on a 1994 toyota camray le 2.2, i can not get the starter to run. when i turn the key to start, the selinoid does not engage there is no sound at all
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 4 years ago.

Is the relay clicking in the fuse box under the hood. It is next to the EFI relay. Do you have a volt meter and an average knowledge of how to use it? Is the battery fully charged?

Skyvisions

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the battery is 12.87 i can't feel it or hear it i have very good knowledge of the ohm meter
ron

Pull the relay out if you put a jumper wire from the pins 3 to pin 5 does the starter engage?

Skyvisions

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
that's the answer bad relay

thanks ron
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
which terminal 1 or 2 should + voltage when starting

I did not say that the relay was the problem. If you pull the relay out the two parallel pins are for the relay windings and pin one which is the closest to the EFI main relay receives 12 V by way of the ignition switch after power goes through the neutral safety switch. Then goes through the coil winding and out pin two to the ground to energize the relay. Pin three and pin five are the pins that are perpendicular to each other and are the other two pins. Pin three should have 12 V all the time and pin five goes directly to the starter solenoid. If you take a jumper wire and go across pin three to pin five the starter should engage. If you're still not certain which pin is which let me know and I'll see if I can find a diagram. As a test you could swap the EFI relay into the starter relay position and see if the starter engages but it's not likely that the relay is bad although it is possible.

Skyvisions

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
still does not engage the starter. where should i chek now? this problem has been going on for a couple weeks. it will clere up and start after letting it stand for a while but not this time.

ron

Do you have 12 volts at the starter relay pin 3? Are you saying that if you jump 3 to 5 and you have 12 v at pin 3 and the starter will not engage?

Skyvisions

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i don't have any voltage at pin 3

Check the 40 amp main fuse this feeds pin 3. This is next to the headlight relay and the other fuses in the same box. If you take a jumper from the Positive battery terminal to pin 5 can you get the starter to engage?

Skyvisions

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
error i was checking pin 2 and getting no voltage when turning the switch

Pin 2 which is one of the parallel pins and is on the outside edge of the fuse box is the ground circuit and should have no voltage. Pin 1 which is parallel to Pin 2 and is closest to the EFI main relay should have 12 V when the key is turned to the start position. Pin 3 which is closest to the horn relay should have 12 V all the time and pin five goes to the starter? can you make the starter engaged by applying 12 V to pin five?

Skyvisions

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

there is no voltage at pin1 when the key is turned. where do i check next?

ron

At the neutral safety switch towards the center of the connector there are large gauge wires. One is black with white and one is black. These are the input and output wires from the ignition switch. Do you have 12 V to either these wires with the key in the start position? Remove the connector and check these wires. If you put a jumper wire between these two wires in the female pin side of the connector does the car start with the relay installed and does the relay click?

Skyvisions

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
where is the neutral safety switch located?
ron

Down on the front of the transmission follow the dipstck tube. It is behind the shift lever.

Skyvisions

Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Toyota Master Diagnostic