Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database

91 toyota previa: Have antifreeze blowing..vents..heater core

Have antifreeze blowing on to the windsheild from the heater vents on a 91 toyota previa. Smoke comes out of the tail pipe for a few minutes when you first start the motor then stops. Never over heats, think that it might be the heater core. Am I correct or is this mostly a blown head gasket?
Smoke comming out of the exhaust when you first start it is likely because worn valve seals allowing oil to leak into the cylinder and then it has to burn out when it starts. You are correct about the antifreeze on the window, that means your heater core is leaking. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Do you know where I can get instructions on how to remove the dash to get to the heater core?

It looks like you change this heater core by accessing it through the hood but you need a machine to discharge the AC system before removing the evaporator case. Here are instructions to remove the evap case then the heater core should be behind it. Let me now if you have questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Is there a way to bypass the heater core without having to removing the air duct and evaporator case?

You should be able to locate the 2 coolant hoses that go into the firewall for the heater core the ndisconnect them and run a bypass hose. You will probably have to remoe the air duct either way to get good access. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.