Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

Check engine light and poor acceleration

I had my car steamcleaned on Friday to determine for sure what kind of leak I had. Mechanic said it was power steering pressure hose leak and replaced it. Drove home without problems, but when driving home from work yesterday, my check engine light began flashing and car had difficulty accelerating after being at a complete stop. I drove the rest of the way home (on the freeway) and left car in driveway. This morning, I checked the oil and discovered there was none and there's a huge pool of oil under my car. I put in 2 qts and started car...no noises, but check engine light is now on without blinking. 2 questions: how likely is it that the engine has been badly damaged and what did the mechanic likely do wrong? I will be calling him first thing in the morning and want to be armed with info. Thank you!
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 4 years ago.

This car is OBD compatible most parts stores like Auto Zone can do free code reads. If you can get me the code number I can better advise you. If the car is otherwise running normal 80% of the time the malfunction that trips the light on is usually related to an emissions failure such as a loose gas cap. Since you have a flashing light this means there is some type of misfire that can damage the converter. Can you get me the code numbers? Did you dry the spark plug tubes out?

Skyvisions

Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Toyota Master Diagnostic
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am very nervous about driving the car anywhere until my mechanic sees it again due to having apprently driven it with very low (or maybe none at all) oil yesterday, so I'm not too eager to take it to Auto Zone. I have no idea if they dried the spark plug tubes after they cleaned under the hood. My main concern is that I did not previously have an oil leak, went to the mechanic with plenty of oil, and had zero oil less than 24 hours later AND that this has caused some kind of major damage. I'm guessing the engine light came on due to the oil problem, no?

If the car was only down 2 quarts there is not likely any damage. If they did no oil change it should not be leaking engine oil. Did you check the oil in the engine before going in for the power steering oil leak? Was the vehicle using oil prior to this repair? The running run is probably due to the plug wires being wet.

Skyvisions