Anthony
Anthony, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Automobile Technician with over 20 years exp. in this field.
15218643

1997 toyota camry: V6..CAM POSITION..COMPUTER MOTOR STILL RUNS BAD

I HAVE 1997 TOYATA CAMRY V6 24 VALVE GETTING CAM POSITION CODE TOYATA CHECKED SENSOR AND WIRES. TOYATA SAID THE COMPUTER IS BAD. I REPLACED COMPUTER MOTOR STILL RUNS BAD AND STILL GETTING SAME CODE. I HAVE CHECK CRANK SENSOR AND WIRE LOOKS LIKE IT IS WORKING. WHAT OTHER THINGS CAN CAUSE THIS CODE?

Hello! Welcome to justanswer!

How bad is it really running?

Does it have no power?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
before the problem you could not here the motor runing and would jump when gave the gas. NOW it is hard to start has rough idle, missing and worse if put car in gear. The motor makes deep sound from the intake never did that before. Runs same with or without the cam position sensor.

The timing belt skipped a tooth. Thats why you have a cam code and the induction noise.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

THAT WAS ONE THING I THOUGHT OF. BUT COULD THAT HAD HAVE HAPPENED WHITH OUT DAMAGE TO THE BELT?

THE PROBLEM STARTED AFTER THE A/C CLUTCH FROZE UP AND BURNED OFF THE BELT AND I MEAN BURN OFF. I HAVE DISCORVED THE HARMONIC BLOANCER HAS BEEN DAMAGED AND THE PULEY IS NOT SLEEPING ON THE BALANCER AND WILL HAVE TOBE REPLACED.

Yes, it did more than likely happen. The belt is probably loose. The induction noise is what gives it away and the cam code. Both strongly sugest the belt is off by a tooth or two.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I WILL CHECK IT OUT TO SEE IF THAT RESOLVES THE PROBLEM. DO YOU SUGGEST REPLACEING THE BELT AND ARE THERE ANY OTHER ITEMS YOU SUGGEST THAT I SHOULD REPLACE?

I LOST WHY THE DEALER DID COME WITH THIS POSSABLITY THERE ANSWER WAS TO REPLACE COMPUTER. I GUESS WHEN THAT DID NOT WORK THEY LOOK AT OTHER THINGS AND COSTING MORE MONEY

Yes, buy a Timing Belt Kit from the parts store along with a water pump. The kit includes the belt tenioner and idle pulleys. The water pump is one of the pulleys for the belt also.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Your quite welcome and thank you also.