john
john, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase tech over 15 years in the field
6149662

How do I replace the O2 Sensor in my 2005 Toyota Sienna LE?

Customer Question

Category: Toyota
Expert:  john replied 7 years ago.
which o2 sensor?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi John:

One of my lights on the dash was on and I took it into Toyota. They "deactivated" the light and advised that my O2 sensor needed to be replaced. They did not tell me which one (I didn't know there was more than one).

They advised that it would cost $255 for this repair. I was hoping to make the repair myself.

Expert:  john replied 7 years ago.

they simply unthread and unplug similar to a spark plug but there are 4

graphicgraphicgraphic

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hey John:

This looks like great info. Since I'm really green at this auto repair thing, can you please help me figure out from these diagrams what I'm looking for?

It appears that on the 3rd diagram, I'm wanting to go for the Heated Oxygen Sensor (Bank 1 Sensor 2) and the Heated Oxygen Sensor (Bank 2 Sensor 2), right?

And on the 2nd diagram, I'm going after the H14 (Heated Oxygen sensor Bank 1 Sensor 2)

And on diagram 1, I'm going after the H9 Heated Oxygen Sensor (Bank 2 Sensor 2), right?

If the maintenance light is on and they tell me the O2 sensor needs to be replaced, do you think they are referring to all 4 or could just one be bad? It sounded like they were talking about just one. I guess I would just have to ask them, right? or I might be paying for $255 in parts to replace all 4 on my own...what are your thoughts about that? Our van's mileage has 51K if that helps.

Expert:  john replied 7 years ago.
you are correct in reading the pictures it probably has 1 bad sensor. I would need the diagnostic trouble code to narrow it down. Most discount parts stores like autozone will read the code for you for free and it will pinpoint which one is the issue
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Awesome info! I didn't know that Autozone could run that diagnostic and pinpoint it like that! Thank you so much for that info and the diagrams! This is a really helpful site! Never knew about it!

Thanks, John! You've been very helpful!

Expert:  john replied 7 years ago.
thanks best of luck