mike c
mike c, toyota master diagnostic technician
Experience:  toyota certified master diagnostic technician ase and hybrid certified
19207661

our 2010 toyota camry le cruise control does not always hold

Customer Question

our 2010 toyota camry le cruise control does not always hold the set speed when it goes down hill. What is the problem and how do we address this situation?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  mike c replied 4 years ago.

hello.

do you mean when you are going downhill the car picks up speed?

what has the service manager told you at the dealer?

did anyone roadtest the car with you?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, that is exactly what I meant happens. It sometimes goes over the set speed by 15km. Incidentally, this happens intermittently, it will hold one time and then the next time it will not. The service manager stated that this is normal but then went out for a drive and experienced it himself. He then got another 2010 camry off the sales lot and we drove the same route and it also did the same thing!
Expert:  mike c replied 4 years ago.

ok. when you set the cruise control and are on a flat road the cruise control will maintain the set speed by opening and closing the throttle to maintain the proper speed.when you are going downhill and speed increases all the cruise control can do is close the throttle,if thehill is steep where the car picks up speed the cruise control does not have the ability to apply the cars brakes or downshift the transmission into a lower gear,at that point you would cancel the cruise by hitting the brake pedal and then if necessary down shift to a lower gear. below is copied out of the owners manual.if you have further questions on this let me know

n Situations unsuitable for cruise control

Do not use cruise control in any of the following situations.

Doing so may result in control of the vehicle being lost and could cause an

accident resulting in death or serious injury.

l In heavy traffic

l On roads with sharp bends

l On winding roads

l On slippery roads, such as those covered with rain, ice or snow

l On steep hills

Experience: toyota certified master diagnostic technician ase and hybrid certified
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you but unfortunately the hill is not terribly steep. We have noticed that the tachometer will be between 1500 and 2000 rpms and then suddenly will spike to approx.(NNN) NNN-NNNNpms when it is going down hill. Secondly, I didn't mention that we were going down a steep hill and we did not have the cruise control on and the motor began revving. The car was in drive at the time. Again, it does not do this all the time. It has only happened three times but the tachometer shoots up to over 3000rpm. Any suggestions as to what to ask the garage people to look at?
Expert:  mike c replied 4 years ago.

this is your post correct? now are you saying this happens without the crusie control on?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sorry for putting in the extra bit about the revving motor but the other is still a valid continuation of what we are experiencing.
Expert:  mike c replied 4 years ago.

now are you saying this happens without the crusie control on?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes but only intermittently
Expert:  mike c replied 4 years ago.
i am going to opt out of this question maybe another expert has experieced the condition you describe.
Expert:  mike c replied 4 years ago.

do you want me to put in a refund request for you?

Edited by mike c on 11/25/2009 at 8:01 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I appreciate your remarks as a master diagnostic technican and I'm only sorry that you were able to help us. I had read the manual and knew the conditions that you were not supposed to use cruise control. Thank you overall. Please accept the$13.40 that I have left as a balance in my account.
Expert:  mike c replied 4 years ago.

ok. thank you.

there will be an up coming 2 part recall on your vehicle for the gas pedal getting caught on the floor mat and also a possible brake override system being installed on the camrys as part of this recall. i havent seen any info from toyota as of yet,you can google gas pedal sticking to read info about the recall,i dont think this is what youre describing but maybe worth reading. there hasnt been any reports of the rpms rising or the engine revving caused by the electronic throttle control malfunction according to toyota.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Why do you think that the car is not acting in a regular manner when going down a hill? One of four things happens when we start going down any hill. ! The speed stays as set. 2 The tack drops one or two hundres rpm and the speed increases by 1 5 klm 3, the tack drops from1950 to 1000 and the car acts to be in' freefall' 4 the rpm increases and so does the speed. I always disingage the cruse at this time.
My problem is two fold. Why the different ways the car reacts to going down a 'normal' hill. and why does it not act the same way when the same hill is decended?
Expert:  mike c replied 4 years ago.

are you driving about the same speed when this happens? if so what is the speed.

or can this occur at all speeds?