Boxer54
Boxer54, Toyota Technician
Experience:  ASE Master tech with L1 certification, Toyota Master Diagnostic Technician
12613057

2006 scion xa: the replacement of the vapor canister

is the replacement of the vapor canister on an 2006 scion xa doable by someone with car maintenance experience?
Thank you for trusting Just Answer with your Scion question. This can be a little difficult with a couple of the hose connections. They are quick connect style hoses, and get dirt in them and can be very difficult to remove. If they are damaged, and do not seal after installation, you are going to be looking at some more expensive repairs. If you feel comfortable with those hoses, the rest is really very simple, but keep in mind, the corrugated hose in question is a dealer only item, and the fuel tank will have to be removed for replacement if it is damaged.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thank you for the response, in these tight times i just wanted to know if i could save any money doing it myself, the car has 67k mostly highway miles and it seems strange to me that the canister would go out unless this nasty ethanol enriched gas is the problem.
I completely understand about saving money. The gas content is most likely not the problem here. The 2 most common causes are overfilling the gas tank and getting liquid fuel in the cannister, or excessive amounts of dirty driving conditions where dust can get into the cannister and cause problems. These we see more than anything.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i guess that is why they say to not top off the tank, it could have happened the last time i filled up then, the nossle shroud wouldn't let me put it in the filler neck all the way no matter how hard i pushed the shroud looked new and it was a little cold that day. i will keep this in mind for the future. thanks