Boxer54
Boxer54, Toyota Technician
Experience:  ASE Master tech with L1 certification, Toyota Master Diagnostic Technician

2002 Toyota Tundra: 4x4 light is flashing and will not stop

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Toyota Tundra and the 4x4 light is flashing and will not stop. Do you know what the possible issue could be?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for trusting Just Answer with your Toyota question. Is the 4x4 light the only one on? Have you used your 4wd recently? Does it beep?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
When i turn the key on or start the engine and drive the 4x4 Hi lite continues to flash on and of and also the electronic switch to engage the 4x4 also flashes. There are no trouble codes in the system. any idea what the problem is before going to a toyota dealer???
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 4 years ago.
Could you please answer all my questions? Did this start after using the 4wd? Does it beep at you at all?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The 4x4 may have been turned on and then off again not sure? No beeping at all.
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 4 years ago.
Thanks. If you shift it into 4lo and roll forward, then go back to 2wd, do you feel the 4wd engage and disengage?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

if you hit the 4 low button nothing happens and the 4 hi light button also continues to flash just like the dash light.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it continues to flash 4 High and the swich always flashes 2wd/4hi, could it be the swtich?
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 4 years ago.
Help me help you. Can you feel it engage/disenage 4wd/2wd, hi/lo range?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
once in a while when i go to park the front wheels may grap. the rest of the time it feels like its in 2wd drive.
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 4 years ago.
Ok, here's what I need you to do. Take your truck to a parking lot, or other suitable open area. Stop and select 4lo. Roll it forward and see if you can FEEL it go into lo range. Stop again, and select 2wd. Roll it forward and see if you can FEEL it change.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i tried it and nothing changes, and no 4lo lite thats why i was wondering about the switch. i also check the 4wd fuse and that was ok, when i pull out the fuse the lites goes away and as soon i put the fuse back in the lites flashes. it even flashes with just the key turned on???
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 4 years ago.
Ok, not likely the switch. I have never had to replace one. Get a rubber mallet, or use a block of wood and tap on the actuator mounted on the transfer case while you have a helper move the selector switch. Most often the actuators get stuck. Sometimes, if you get it to move, by tapping on it, it will work for a while. Other times it will not workl again at all. It will likely need to be replaced. Doing this requires transfer case removal and disassembly. This is best left to a trained technician unless you have transfer case or manual transmission internal experience.