Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic

2004 Highlander: malfunction..Steady system

My 2004 Highlander recently has had a horn malfunction. Steady horn sounded for no reason while vehicle was parked. Does not seem linked to security system alarm because inserting key into ignition and starting did not make horn shut off. Had to remove horn relay module in fuse panel to keep horn from sounding.

Any ideas? Is the horn relay bad?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 6 years ago.

It is not likrely the horn that is bad. The more probable cause is in the horn conacts in the steering wheel or pad. It may be in the spiral cable also.

I forgot to mention there is a possibility that the horn relay could be sticking on. You may consider switching this relay within other like relay in the fuse box as a test.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Sounds like I would need to take the car to a mechanic to properly diagnos the problem. Any reccomendations on trouble shooting the problem myself?

Before you take it to a mechanic try switching the relays with another relay that is the same style and see if the horn stops blowing. You can wiggle the wheel and kind of bang on the horn pad/airbag to see if you could duplicate the horn sticking or try to make it stick by wiggling the horn pad. Other than that there's not a whole lot the average person can do to diagnose or test spiral cable.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you.

That was the kind of information I was looking for. Will give it a try.

Let me know how it goes. If you need a second opinion after taking it to a mechanic, if you cannot isolate the problem just post back to here and I will get back to you.