Toyotapro
Toyotapro, ASE master tech
Experience:  ASE Certified, 10+ years Lexus and Toyota Certified
9414525

98 Corolla: that is soaking the spark plugs with engine oil..threads

I have a '98 Corolla that is soaking the spark plugs with engine oil. The oil is coming from the head. It's on the plug threads. I think its the valve stem seals and have ordered them. I also bought the valve cover gasket. Am I right about the valve stem seals? How do I adjust the valves after changing the seals?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for using just answer.

Are you saying that the spark plugs are soaked in oil inside the tubes outside the engine or that the sprk plug tip inside the engine is oil fouling?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Inside the engine. All the threaded part up to the hex part where the socket goes is soaked in oil. the car has 110,000 miles if it helps any. I've had the car since new and changed the plugs every 30-40K miles.
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 5 years ago.
Ok so you have oil on BOTH sides of the spark plug then correct?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I think its only on the lower part where it threads to the head
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 5 years ago.
There is a known issue on this engine for piston ring issues, the rings were not designed for the modern fuels that are now at every gas pump in america and it causes ring collapse and oil consumption, a new revised short block was produced for this issue.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
But its not consuming any oil. I change the oil every 3000miles and evey time I get 4qts of used oil back. which is the same amount of new oil I put in. How do I adjust the valves? thanks
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 5 years ago.
The valves have shims, valve seals are not the issue here. If you have oil on the spark plug tips then you have oil entering the cylinder.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So, how do I prevent oil from going into the cylinder?
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 5 years ago.
Short block. Toyota does not recommend honing or rebuilding these blocks. I have tried reringing a few of these with no success.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
my last question is about valve adjustment. How do I adjust the valves?
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 5 years ago.

YOu have to measure the clearances cold between the valve shim plates and the cam lobes, then specail order any shims if adjustments are needed. I have never seen a corolla from this generation need valve adjustments.

Toyotapro, ASE master tech
Experience: ASE Certified, 10+ years Lexus and Toyota Certified
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thanks
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 5 years ago.
have a good evening