Toyotapro, ASE master tech
Experience:  ASE Certified, 10+ years Lexus and Toyota Certified

2002 toyota celica gt 5 speed, can i put a GTS 6 speed transmission

2002 toyota celica gt 5 speed, can i put a GTS 6 speed transmission in it and what would it take to make it work?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for using just answer.

Installing the different transmission in your car would be no easy swap, the transmission layout in your car is actually not too difficult to repair if you are simply having a few issues such as worn synchronizers that make shifting difficult, I have rebuilt several of these transmissions and it can be done in under a day and usually under $1,000. The transmission in your car will be hard to find used as most of these are either still on the road or the used ones are already trashed, a new one can be purchased for about $2,200 if you prefer new but I would highly recommend you consider having this one rebuilt. The 6 speed in the GT-s is no more reliable then the one in your car.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
If the 6 speed gts transmission can be swapped in, what all would I have to do? I can't just have mine rebuilt because the casing is cracked and can not be repaired. I do not have that option.
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 6 years ago.
You would have to do a LOT, the setup on these powertrains is completely different, it would be easier to install a complete 2zz-ge powertrain setup including the engine harness and the computer. The engine in your car is the same as found in the corolla/matrix. For what you would spend on this mod you would be cheaper installing a new transmission or trading cars. Have you checked large national salvage yards such as LKQ?

Edited by Peter on 11/7/2009 at 10:48 PM EST