Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

2003 toyota corolla: vacuum..leaking..15 mpg.I have a new switch

Customer Question

I have a 2003 toyota corolla and latey the mileaged has takin a kickin,we took it to the dealer and he claims it is the vacuum switching valve and that the filler neck is leaking , we have lost about 10 -15 mpg.I have a new switch and I checked the filler neck and see no problems with it ,just wondering if this is possible
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for trusting Just Answer with your Toyota question. Have you had a check engine light on? If so, what were the codes stored in the memory?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

at toyota they couldn't read the code as the light went out the day before the appointment,the car has 170,000miles on it,the put it on the diagnostic machine and told my wife it was the filler neck and the vacuum switching valve,I find this hard to beleive as we lost 10-15 mpg,it had the converted repaced at about 70,000miles and also the egr valve done about the same time .

Expert:  Boxer54 replied 6 years ago.

Their explanation does not seem feasible. Sounds almost like they are wanting to throw parts at the car. Can we start at the beginning here? How are you calculating your mileage?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
we have owned the car since new and we don't get the mileage per tank any more ,I also felt thier explanation wasn't feasible that is why I am resorting to this ,the car works fine and the service light doesn't stay on ,it comes and goes ,sometimes it stays out for as long as a month,yesterday I put about 200 miles on the car and the light never came on
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 6 years ago.
OK, well, heres what we will need to do. Sounds like you put a lot of miles on the car, so this should be easy. You need to fill the tank with gas, stopping when the fuel pump shuts off. Record the mileage, or reset the trip odometer, then drive the car normally until the tank is almost depleted. Then refill the tank, stopping when the pump shuts off, and record the new mileage, or the trip odometer mileage. Also record the gallons filled from the gas pump. Calculate the mileage by dividing the miles driven by the gallons used. Once that is done, get back to me with the number and we can proceed with the information. Also, if the Check engine light comes on, pull into your local chain Auto parts store, such as Autozone, and in most states, you can get the code read for free. Having the code number would be a great help.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
what is that going to tell me ,sounds as if u don't have a clue