Toyotapro
Toyotapro, ASE master tech
Experience:  ASE Certified, 10+ years Lexus and Toyota Certified
9414525

Sequoia: a clicking noise on cold starts in cool weather..noticable

My 04 Sequoia with 72K miles has a clicking noise on cold starts in cool weather. It has been doing this since about 50K miles. Does not do it, or is a lot let noticable, on warm days. It goes away once the engine is warm. Is there a quick and easy cure? I tried adding STP to the crankcase along with Marvel Mystery Oil - this helped initially but after about a month the noise returned.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for using just answer, are you sure this is a engine noise and not an exhaust noise?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
How can I tell the difference? Why would an oil change and STP temporarily help an exhaust noise?
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 7 years ago.
I ask that for a reaon, one of 2 items is causing this noise, is it possible for you to video tape this and load it for me to hear?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No, I don't own a video camera. Hard to beleive, but true. Can you tell me what to look for or listen to?
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 7 years ago.

There are 2 "common" noises on these.

1- exhaust manifold noise- they make a tick noise that is onlhy noticible for about 30 seconds when the engine is started.

2- Valve noise- this will sound more like a motor knock then a tick, this is caused by carbon deposits and a strong top engine cleaner applied directly to the intake resolves this.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I think the issue is valve noise. Can you recommend a "strong top engine cleaner"?
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 7 years ago.

Most auto parts stores do not sell really strong ones, most dealers do.

Chemicals made by BG products, MOC or wynns make great strong cleaners, toyota also makes a good one, you basically need to inject the solution into the intake while running until the engine is nearly flooded, then shut off and let it soak for a couple hours to break down the carbon that causes the valves to literally stick when cold.