Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

I have a 2007 Camry. The manual trunk release does not work.

I have a 2007 Camry. The manual trunk release does not work. However, the linkage is OK because when the latch near the seat is pulled the wire/ball assembly in the trunk pulls in about 2 inches. When I trip the trunk latch (mimicking the trunk being closed) and manually pull the wire/ball link, nothing happens. The trunk latch works with the remote and with the manual emergency pull. There does not appear to be any obvious damage to the latch. I do not want to take the entire unit off until/unless I know what I am doing.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 5 years ago.

Hello, and welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you.

The normal way that Toyota defeats the interior release is positioning the key cylinder. Look at the trunk lock, where the key fits in. Is the keyway vertical, or is it horizontal? If the keyway is horizontal, the interior latch mechanism has been defeated. Insert the key, and turn the keyway until it is vertical, and try the inside release again.

I think that this will get you fixed up.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer. I hope that my advice proves useful to you. If so, and accept of my answer, and possibly a bonus would be greatly appreciated!

Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience: 30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, the key slot was horizontal. I inserted the key, turned it to vertical and then a half-turn clockwise, which opened the trunk. I closed the trunk, tried the pull release, but...nothing happened. No change. Now the key slot is vertical, and the key can open the trunk (I had not checked that previously). The electronic key relase also works. But the manual pull does not work. Any further ideas? The problem appears to be the mechanism that connects the ball / wire linkage to the trunk release. Nothing seems to be wrong with it, but at the same time it does not do anything when the ball is retracted.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Here is more info after I just re-checked the trunk. Now that the key is vertical, the linkage DOES work fine. The problem now is that the ball / link simply does not pull it far enough. Apparently it "stretched" somehow. The answer seems to be to "tighten" it by about 3/4 inch. How can this be done?

Have you verified that the wire is physically moving, at the truck lock, when the release handle is puled? The handle will pull the wire, in either position of the key. One way, the wire is allowed to pull the latch release, the other way, the latch is defeated.

In any case, if the wires is not moving at all, when the release lever is pulled, the wire may be broken. Or, the wire is not in the specific place that it needs to be in, on the latch. There is not much to this system.

If you locate where the wire/ball hooks onto, and you manually trip the latch closed, you should be able to release the lock via the lever that the wire from the inner release moves. If it does not release it, and you have to use the key, the latch is bad.

I see your new post. This leads me to believe that the wire from the release is not in its proper location. The wire needs to be held securely. Remove the inner carpeting, ands you should see where the cable is attached to, and the release wire continues out of the cable.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The wire inside the trunk retracts about 3 / 4 of an inch when the interior latch is pulled. But this is not quite enough to trip the mechanism. If I use the key, or manually pull the mechanism farther than the wire does, it works fine. It looks like the wire needs to be tightened by about 1 /2 to 3 /4 inch so it will trip the mechanism when pulled from the interior.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have removed the plastic pieces that cover the front and rear door ledges (I hope they will pop back on). I can see some lengths of the wire connector but cannot see much more without removing a lot of parts. Here is one thing I neglected to notice before. The ball that goes through the unlocking mechanism is about 3 / 4 inch away from the mechanism when it is not being pulled. In other words, it has that much play. It can be pulled about that much without engaging the mechanism. I think it is supposed to be snug against the mechanism so that it pops the mechanism when it is pulled. Now, there is no resistance when the trunk relase is pulled because the ball is not tight against the mechanism. If I could tighten the wire so that the ball was tight against the mechanism, that would do the trick.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Nevr mind, I do not want to tear up the carpets to fix this. I can open it with the remote, good enough.

Sorry, the adjustment is under the 'carpeted' portion of the trunk lid.

There is no adjustment provided to the cable, on the release lever next to the seat.

Of you move the padding away from the latch, under the trunk lid, you will see where the release cable comes across the trunk lid.. On the latch, the cable is held in place, via an interference fit, and the center wire continues to the release portion of the latch. I am thinking that your main cable is not attached where it goes on the latch assembly.