Toyotapro
Toyotapro, ASE master tech
Experience:  ASE Certified, 10+ years Lexus and Toyota Certified

My 2005 Toyota Highlanders security system is not allowing

My 2005 Toyota Highlander's security system is not allowing me to start to car. I have the right key but it's messed up and I am out of town and need to start the car. Is there some sort of code to bypass this so I can start the car?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for using just answer.

How do you know this is a security issue?

What exactly is the car doing?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The red light to the left of the steering wheel blinks and clicks which wasn't doing that before the problem happened. It also did this problem last night with the horn blaring etc. but after messing with it somehow it eventually started like there was no problem at all. We have had to be towed because we were camping. The tow truck operator confirmed that it had to be something with the engine mobilizer not letting the engine start.
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 4 years ago.

ok, so this light is to the LEFT of the steering wheel then correct?

I need to be sure because I think this was an add on system not a factory alarm then.

This red light.....does it also act as a button that will toggle in and out when pressed on?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes that is correct the button can be pushed in and out and is left of steering wheel.
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 4 years ago.

This is not a factory system then, this was a common system to be added by dealers.

Do you have a remote for the system that still works?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No I have never had onE for this car and it's worked fine for the last couple years without it.
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 4 years ago.

Most likely your battery went low or weak and caused this alarm to reactivate.

Here is how you oficially disable it (until the battery is dead again):

Starting with the button pushed in I need you to push the button 3 times, then insert your key into the ignition and cycle it from full off mode to ON (not start) 3 times, when the key hits the ON mode for the 3rd time it is supposed to shut the system down and allow the truck to start. If this does not work then there is an issue in the control computer for this system and it will need to be removed or replaced. This is usually tucked up under the driver dash, if you follow the wiring from the indicator light it will lead you to the controller. Simply unplugging this will bypass the unit.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
That did not work
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 4 years ago.

Read my entire post from above. If the sequence did not work then this is an issue in the controller and it will need to be disabled or replaced.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Can youhelp me with what the controller looks like? I unplugged a little square box about an inch and a half square with a little red light on it. If that is the controller it didn't work.
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 4 years ago.
It is something you probably shouldn't be messign with, because the fact that this is a after factory item it is also not guaranteed to be in any one spot, it is located where ever the technician straped it to. All I can tell you there is if you follow the wires that go to the back side of the red indicator on the dash they will lead to and connect to the alarm controller. This will need to be unplugged. On SOME of these toyota add on systems you also have to disconnect it at the ignition switch in order to bypass the starter kill.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I got the controller unplugged. I didn't have the right one earlier. The light and the clicking sound has stopped yet the car is not starting still. What else?
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 4 years ago.
Ok you are half way there then. Sounds like this system has the tap at the ignition switch also. There will be a wire that runs from the controller to the ignition here that makes the ignition run through the controller to complete the circuit. What you need to do is remove the steering column cover behind the steering wheel to expose the wiring. There are 3 phillips scres that hold this cover in place, you have to turn the steering left/right to expose 2 of them and the third is on the bottom. Remove the covers here and unplug the alarm harness from the ignition switch and reconnect the factory harness plug to the ignition.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have the ignition system exposed but cannot see the same color wire going from the controller to the ignition?!?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Intrude something else. I thought I had disconnected the controller but it was just a connection in the wiring. I kept looking around and then found something that looked more controller-like and disconnected it. I tried the ignition and the battery actually tried to start. We are going to jump start ot to see if now it will work. If it does, what should I do about the controller? Plug it back in after it starts or if it's just the alarm I don't use it anyway and can do with out it.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok the car started right up!!! What about the question of the controller? Then I can let you go.
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 4 years ago.
Sorry I had to step out to get my kid, so you have the controller plugged in or unplugged now?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have it unpluged and I jumped the car and it started. Is there any reason to plug it back inoffensive I don't want the security system?
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 4 years ago.
From what you said you don't have a remote so you don't even use this system, you can leave it unplugged. Also as I stated earlier today any time the voltage falls low from a battery disconnect it automatically arms this system so unless you want to keep dealing with it then you need to leave it disconnected. From what you are describing it sounds like you also need a new battery here.
Toyotapro, ASE master tech
Experience: ASE Certified, 10+ years Lexus and Toyota Certified