Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

How much should it cost to replace the remote keyless entry

How much should it cost to replace the remote keyless entry door lock actuators in the two rear doors of a 2006 Toyota Camry?

Depending on your specific vehicle identification number the actuators for the rear doors are part of the lock assembly which retails for $297. If you go to www.MetroToyotapartsnow.com you can purchase them wholesale online for about $218. If you have someone install them they will charge you probably 1 to 1.5 hours in labor times your local labor rate figure about $100 per hour. These numbers are for one door.

Skyvisions

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
My dealer wants just over $1000 to do both doors. So that is high but not unreasonable?

If you figure he is charging you full retail at $300-$320 apiece for the actuators then probably three hours total labor at at least $100 per hour that puts you right at $940. I would say that's probably about normal for the dealer. About the only way you would be able to save any money would be to buy the parts wholesale online then have someone install them at a lesser rate. You may consider asking the dealership for some goodwill assistance if they have any available to offer. Perhaps they would do a 50 /50 split. It never hurts to ask especially if you have a good service history with the dealer.

Skyvisions

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
By the following did you mean cut the labor cost in half?
"You may consider asking the dealership for some goodwill assistance if they have any available to offer. Perhaps they would do a 50 /50 split. It never hurts to ask especially if you have a good service history with the dealer."

Most dealerships have some leeway on vehicles that are out of warranty and this car is out of warranty probably because it is 3 years and 36,000 miles on electrical items and components. The dealers have the discretion to offer assistance such as 50-50 split which basically means you pay half the bill and they pay half the bill as a goodwill gesture. Sometimes they can offer to pay for the parts if you pay for the labor. It is up to the dealership entirely and their District rep. If you've never had this vehicle service at the dealership or any dealerships it's probably not likely that they're willing to assist you in this way.

Skyvisions

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you!

You're welcome and I wish you well and hope that you get some assistance. If you need anything in the future just ask for me, Skyvisions, and I will get back to you.

Skyvisions