Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

my 2006 toyota tundra does not have a transmission oil dipstick

Customer Question

my 2006 toyota tundra does not have a transmission oil dipstick , if i change the transmission oil and replace the filter , how do i refill the transmission with new oil.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  mike c replied 5 years ago.

hello.

the best way to do this is to measure exactly what you took out and start with putting the same amount back in,

here is a link that explains the whole procedure make sure to use the correct fluid from toyota for this.

Download link: http://www.mediafire.com/file/zonkdmwdjmf

let me know if you have further questions on this

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i have a pump to pump the transmission fluid back in but i don't know where is the correct opening or the correct bolt on the transmission to refill
Expert:  mike c replied 5 years ago.

it shows this in the link i sent you

if you dont see it let me know

Expert:  mike c replied 5 years ago.
i just retried the link and i see the site is down i will check back and resend you the link when the site is back up
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i couldn,t get the website working
Expert:  mike c replied 5 years ago.
i know i already sent you a post that the site is down as soon as its up i will resend you the link
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i want to try a different expert
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
still waiting
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 5 years ago.

Hello, and welcome to Just Answer.

Please allow me to assist my esteemed colleague Mike C...

If your Tundra does NOT have a dipstick, it has what Toyota calls "WS", or "World-Specification" transmission fluid.

This fluid is NOT meant to be changed at the 'normal' intervals; nor is the filter. Actually, there is no filter, Toyota transmissions utilize very fine mesh 'screens". They run about $200.00 each.

With that being said, and IF the fluid needed to be replaced (as if the transmission developed a leak, and was repaired), there is a VERY specific procedure that must be followed.

First, the engine/transmission needs to be within a very narrow temperature 'window". This requires the use of a scan tool that is capable of measuring the temperatures. WIthout it, you cannot perform the task. The correct fill level is determined at a very specific temperature.

Second, a special tool is utilized to introduce the new fluid into the transmission, again, if you do not have the tool, the task cannot be performed. Adding too much fluid, or not having enough fluid can and will damage your transmission. Trust us.

If I were you, and you really need to have the ATF level adjusted, leave it to your dealer.

If HE does not perform the proper fill procedure, HE will be responsible for buying you a new transmission...and, at about 5 grand for a replacement, it is in the dealer's best interests to do the job correctly.

We are sorry that this is not the advice you were seeking, but, to ignore the factory-specific procedure will result in a failed transmission...It is not worth it to try this yourself, unless you have the correct tools.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer.

Opinion: I see that you have opened this question again and my fellow colleague Peter has answered you. I fully agree with his statements.

You need to understand that trying to change the ATF, for whatever reason, without the special tools, is going to DAMAGE your transmission.

You have two of Just Answer's best Toyota Technicians advising you the same thing. Trust us. We do NOT want to see you have to buy a transmission.

Edited by Toyota Service on 10/27/2009 at 12:08 AM EST