Jason
Jason, TOYOTA MASTER DIAGNOSTIC TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERT. 15 YRS EXP.
24248385

cam timing on 89 toyota corolla , what position is the marks

Customer Question

cam timing on 89 toyota corolla , what position is the marks suppose to be? i have two marks facing each other plus pointing up on it . its 4a-f motor
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 4 years ago.

Align the bearing cap mark and the center of the small hole on the camshaft timing pulley.

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i got thoughs aligned , but its the two cams i'm not sure on. intake and the exhaust cams for lining up . they're not to clear on them on how they should be.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 4 years ago.
Unfortunately, im going to have to opt out. Due to the year of the vehicle, that was all the info i had. I will forward your question to another Tech who can possibly assist you better. Sorry for the inconvenience. Sit tight one sec, someone will be right with you...
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok
Expert:  Jason replied 4 years ago.

Did you install the bolt to hold the exhaust gear, before you removed the cam?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no, what bolt

Expert:  Jason replied 4 years ago.

Do you see how the intake cam gear is split, like 2 piece gear?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes
Expert:  Jason replied 4 years ago.

When you take it off, there needs to be a bolt, that goes all the way through the 2 gears. Its spring loaded. Since Im assuming you didn't do that, you gotta fix it, or bad things happenCry

Use the 10mm bolts from the timing cover.

you need to put the cam in a vise (careful where you clamp it)

There are 3 holes, we'll say 10,12,2 oclock (put it in the vise that way)

put 2 bolts in at 10 and 12 oclock, use a screwdriver to pry the gear clockwise until the 2 oclock hole goes all the way through.

Then run bolt all the way through to hold it together.

Can you handle that?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yep, ok then line up the two dots on the cam gears , the intake , and the exhaust gear

Expert:  Jason replied 4 years ago.
here is a picture for guidance.graphic
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
can't see the picture, could you email the picture to me. it didn't come thru
Expert:  Jason replied 4 years ago.

Here is the Timing set up for the cams. In case the picture stinks. you just line up the 2 sets of dots. (The dots on the drivers side of cam)

Good Luck

Jasongraphicgraphic

Edited by Jason on 10/23/2009 at 12:33 AM EST
Experience: ASE MASTER CERT. 15 YRS EXP.