Toyotapro
Toyotapro, ASE master tech
Experience:  ASE Certified, 10+ years Lexus and Toyota Certified
9414525

2000 Avalon: Im trying to remove the rear rotors

I'm trying to remove the rear rotors on my 2000 Avalon but they won't come off.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for using just answer.

Are the rotors stuck solid to the hub here or are they slightly loose with s little freeplay?

Are you replacing the rotors or just removing?

Stupid question here- do you have the parking brake off?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The rotors are loose with freeplay.

I'm replacing them.

The parking brake is off.

Expert:  Toyotapro replied 4 years ago.
ok, if they are loose but will not come free then the parking brake shoes are holding them in, most likely there is some rust on the outer part of the rotor where the parking shoes ride and the shoes are sticking on this rust ridge. If you look on the front of the rotor there is a small round opening (usually has a rubber plug in it), this is the access port to get a screwdriver into where the parking brake adjuster is located at, you need to turn the parking brakes down, this is exactly the same as a drum brake application just on a much smaller scale.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm following you but I'm having a hard time locating the access port. There are 3 holes in the rotor neer where the studs come through, one larger and 2 smaller threaded holes. Is the access port the larger hole? Also, will I adjust it using a slot screwdriver?
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 4 years ago.
If there is still the factory black rubber plug on the rotor then this is the hold you need, it is one of the larger ones with a slight recess around the outer part of the hole......if some moron had these rotors off at some point there is a possibility that he did not install the rotor in the correct location and the large hole is now exposed to the solid hub and NOT the opening in the hub to access the adjuster, if this is the case then we are in trouble, if there is an opening then YES you simply use a screwdriver to turn down the adjuster.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Okay, I know which one you are referring to as it has a slight recess around it (no plug). How would I know whether the rotor is installed in the wrong location and now the access port is exposed to the solid hub? I poked a screwdriver into that hole and it went in pretty deep before it hit anything.
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 4 years ago.
If you can get a screwdriver in there then you are good! No problem there, now you need a flashlight so you can look in the hole and spin the rotor to line up with the adjuster.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Okay, I'm with you but unfortunately now I can't fully rotate the rotor, it'll only turn about halfway and then gets stuck. I'm starting to think I may have messed something up trying to force it off with those bolts. What am I looking for as I rotate the rotor around using the flashlight to locate the adjuster? Will it look like a large slot screw head?

Expert:  Toyotapro replied 4 years ago.
no the adjuster is basically a threaded rod that expands and contracts to push the shoes in and out, in the middle of the adjuster there is a spiked wheel that turns either direction to hold the pads in or out. If you were forcing the rotor outward you may have damaged the parking brake hardware, if that is the case then the damage is already done and you may consider just forcing the rotor the rest of the way off and then dealing with the damage. One trick/tip you can try is take a prybar or lugwrench and prop it between 2 lugnut studs to pry the assembly around to try and turn the rotor. Sorry no easy answers on this at this point.
Toyotapro, ASE master tech
Experience: ASE Certified, 10+ years Lexus and Toyota Certified
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Okay! I know exactly what you are talking about as well as how to dial it down. It's toward the bottom, problem is that I think you are right concerning the damage to the brake hardware.... I could see stress fractures forming around where the bolts were pushing on the rotor (hence why I stopped) and so I'm thinking its likely that some of the brake hardware is a bit "stretched" at this point. I know what to do though and you've been money, so thanks for your time!