Jason
Jason, TOYOTA MASTER DIAGNOSTIC TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERT. 15 YRS EXP.
24248385

Transmission problem 1995 Toyota 4Runner 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive

Customer Question

Transmission problem
1995 Toyota 4Runner 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 180000 miles

1995 Toyota 4runner has a mechanical speedometer cable, and an automatic, 3.0 V6, 2-wheel drive...I somehow broke my speedometer cable on my 95 4runner and burned up 2 transmissions . My question to you is does the speedometer have to be installed on my 1995 4Runner...Why does the speedometer have to be installed.....The VIN number is XXXXX
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Jason replied 7 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. Chk the door sticker, Is the trans a 340 E,F,or H?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I didn't see any numbers on the door that looked like a transmission number, but there was a plate on the tranmission itself. The model number is XXXXX (these numbers were along side of the modle number. The serial number is XXXXX R 25793.....The name of the housing is Aisan 8935
Expert:  Jason replied 7 years ago.

Does it have rear abs?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No
Expert:  Jason replied 7 years ago.

Try and get the part # XXXXX the computer, its by glove box in r/s kick panel.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
3VZ....3V is stamped on the transmission housing
Expert:  Jason replied 7 years ago.
Thats the engine 3vzfe, I ran the vin and it didn't give me the transmission model. The correct answer to your question, depends on the trans. See if you can get the ecm number. IT'll be something like 89661-?????
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
89661-3D010
Expert:  Jason replied 7 years ago.

That is a 340E trans, There is a speed sensor in the speedometer head that affects shift points and quality.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
You didn't answer my original question........Does the speedometer have to be installed to drive the truck?
Expert:  Jason replied 7 years ago.

Yes, The truck will not shift properly without it.

Jason

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Jason, what I really want to know is that while driving on the freeway would the transmission overheat if the speedometer is not installed?
Expert:  Jason replied 7 years ago.

I can't really tell you what damage it'll do, or how it manifests. Without it, the computer does not know the vehicles speed. I would go with yes.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
They got a reading from the computer, It came back code "42"...speed sensor circut.
Expert:  Jason replied 7 years ago.
????
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I guess that was because the check engine light came on.
Expert:  Jason replied 7 years ago.
Oh, yes, absolutely. Is it just a broken speedo cable?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I want to be clear on your response because this I have to understand this. Your telling me that if the speedometer is not installed, the transmission on a 95 toyota 4runner will not go into lockup which in turn could cause the transmission to overheat or cause damage.
Expert:  Jason replied 7 years ago.
This is feeling kinda legalish
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
When I talk to these guys have to know what I saying is true!
Expert:  Jason replied 7 years ago.

Yes, The computer will not know the speed of the truck, causing the torque convertor to not lock up, the car will not go into closed loop. The trans will overheat, from not going into closed loop.

Jason

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks very much Jason
Expert:  Jason replied 7 years ago.
Your welcome.