Toyotapro, ASE master tech
Experience:  ASE Certified, 10+ years Lexus and Toyota Certified

what is the normal coolant operating temperature for a 2.4l

Customer Question

what is the normal coolant operating temperature for a 2.4l efi 87' toyota 4 runner? in degrees?because my truck seem to be running high?but it seem to happen on higher speeds 65mph +?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 7 years ago.
The "normal" operating temperature is determined by your thermostat. So this is determined by the temperature specification on the thermostat you installed. On most Toyota's you will find a 180 degree (F) rating on the thermostat. If your truck runs hot when at higher speed this would indicate AIR FLOW restriction across the radiator exterior fins.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
in my description I did say that my radiater is clean an flushed , and i did change every thing in the cooling system , as listed . when i run at high speed (over 65) then pull over and check the coolant temp it is 204* to 212*but it is not bubling or anything.would that be a accetable temp.?
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 7 years ago.

No that is too hot and approaching boil over.

Reread my post above and you will see that I am not staing that you have internal restriction in the radiator, flush this radiator all day long and it will NOT resolve AIR FLOW restriction across the EXTERIOR fins. THis means that eiter your external (outside) radiator is restricted so that it cannot cool the anti-freeze in the radiator or the fan clutch is not operting properly and causing this. Typically if this happens at higher speeds it will be mor radiator then fan related.