Toyotapro
Toyotapro, ASE master tech
Experience:  ASE Certified, 10+ years Lexus and Toyota Certified
9414525

Problem P0420 and P0430 Ref. 2002 Camry V6, 150K miles,

Problem: P0420 and P0430

Ref. 2002 Camry V6, 150K miles, DTC = P0420 and P0430.

1) The car has two O2 sensors and two AF sensors....I replaced two O2 sensors to no avail... Is there another O2 sensor located downstream from the 3rd catalytic converter that's located underneath the car?

2) There are 3 catalytic converters... How do you test them? And is it more likely for the catalytic converters that are located in the manifold to fail before the other cat?

3) Could the MAF or coil cause this problem?

4) What is the most probable cause?

5) Will an expensive OBD-2 identify the cause?

Add a Comment:
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 4 years ago.
<p>Are these the ONLY 2 codes stored?</p><p>Did this happen after a major service or a previous issue with the car?</p>
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes...
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 4 years ago.
answer both questions please
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sorry! No major service or previous issue with this car!
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 4 years ago.

Ok, just wanted to be sure, the reason I ask is because I sometimes see these codes "falsely" or store becuase the car was not running right such as if you just had a tank of bad fuel that caused misfires and engine flooding.

So if the car has been running fine and no recent history other then the stand alone 420/430 codes then this is an isolated issue.

First let me say that I am sorry but you wasted a lot of $$$ on sensors, when a 420 or 430 code stores and no other codes then this means that the sensors in the exhaust ARE working normally and the catalyst is not, I commonly see this costly mistake in my shop.

Secondly this is not a "known" issue on your car.

There were a few updates to the 4 cylinder model camry in this year where the computer monitor programming had to be altered and the converter replaced to prevent repeat 420 codes, if you have found anything online about "common" issues with these codes on your year camry just be aware that this does NOT apply to your car as it is a v6.

As far as converters go...you asked how to verify failure, the o2 and air fuel ratio sensors have already done that for you. The converter on teh manifold is more of a "pre-cat" then a true converter, the three way catalytic converter in the forward exhaust center pipe will need to be replaced here and the car then retested.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank God, I didn't have to spend $$$ on O2 sensors... I have two 2002 Camry V6's, so I just swapped the O2 sensors between the 2 cars.

For clarification, you recommend to replace the one located under the car about in the middle of the exhaust pipe?

Just curious, is there another O2 sensor located after the catalytic converter that's located under the car?

Would have an expensive OBD-2 been able to identify the cause?

Expert:  Toyotapro replied 4 years ago.

Yes there is a o2 sensor behind the cat on this one. The parts listing shows the converter on the center pipe as the main converter, it gets a littel confusing because they messed with the design a lot in a few years on this car and the california verses federal emissions cars are different. THe newer ones have converters only in the manifolds verses these older ones that had small cats in the manifolds and large ones in the center pipes.

There is no more need for a scanner, all you needed was codes here, an expensive scanner just has the ability to monitor the sensors so you can see it fail.

Toyotapro, ASE master tech
Experience: ASE Certified, 10+ years Lexus and Toyota Certified
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Many Thanks!!!