Toyotapro
Toyotapro, ASE master tech
Experience:  ASE Certified, 10+ years Lexus and Toyota Certified
9414525

2007 Toyota Avalon Limited: oil change..keyless..an ignition switch

I have a 2007 Toyota Avalon Limited & have my oil changed on a regular basis, unfortunately because I had Toyota do the first oil change at 2500 miles (car was a demo) I always get the "maint required light" out of sequence when the oil doesnt really need to be changed. I have tried to reset this light using the method in the owners manual with no success. This car is keyless & does not have an ignition switch only a start button. thanks J R Howard
Category: Toyota
Expert:  mike c replied 5 years ago.
hello..
if you or whoever is doing the oil changes are resetting the light every oil change,then the next time the light will come on solid is at 5000 miles from the last reset?
do you want instructions for resetting the light?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It seems like to me the light is set to 5000 mile intervals based upon the odometer reading 5000,10000,15000 from the factory. So if the oil is changed at 2500 miles for example & mine was even though the light is reset at that mileage & not due to come on again till 7500 it will reappear at 5000 based on the odometer reading not based on when the oil change was actually done. It appears to me thats the way it works based on my experience with the car. Yes I would like instructions for resetting the light because this has become a real nusiance and causes my wife some anxiety. The reset instructions in my owners manual do not work for my car & are based on a car with an ignition key switch which I do not have.
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 5 years ago.
The instructions you will have are the same for smart key verses standard key, the only difference is that instead of cycling the key to on you simply press the start button 2 times with your foot OFF the brake pedal so the car will not start.
Set the trip odometer to the proper mode, hold the button in and press the start button 2 times until the odometer reads "-----" and then "00000" to confirm reset.
Toyotapro, ASE master tech
Experience: ASE Certified, 10+ years Lexus and Toyota Certified