Boxer54
Boxer54, Toyota Technician
Experience:  ASE Master tech with L1 certification, Toyota Master Diagnostic Technician
12613057

2002 Prius: If you change a starter battery

Customer Question

If you change a starter battery in a 2002 Prius and the display screen goes black, what do I do now?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for trusting Just Answer with your Toyota question. This sounds like it could be a very complicated issue. You will need some hand tools, a digital voltmeter, and some knowledge of electrical circuits to get to the bottom of this. Let me know how you would like to proceed.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Boxer54, My boyfriend who has restored old cars is the one who changed the battery and can do lots of stuff with cars, but has no experience with the electrical/computer stuff that has to do with the hybrids. Do you think it's something you can lead him through? He has lots of tools and a garage to work on the car, etc.
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 5 years ago.
Well this is a typical automotive 12V electrical systyem. All we need to do really is verify power and ground points to the multi display. Once that is done, we will have a better idea of what is going on. Let me know when he will be available to get some instructions. He will need a digital voltmeter and some backprobe pins to test some wiring once disassembled. You can get some 'T' pins from the craft section at Walmart to use as backprobe pins. Use the small ones.
Boxer54, Toyota Technician
Experience: ASE Master tech with L1 certification, Toyota Master Diagnostic Technician
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 5 years ago.
Why did you leave me negative feedback. I was giving you a list of the things needed to track down the source of the problem. YOU didn't allow me the opportunity to finish helping you. Rather you quit and never responded back to me for the follow up information. I even asked for you to let me know when your boyfriend would be available for instructions. Negative feedback was not warranted and is inappropriate here. This is a negative mark that CANNOT be taken back. Please, for future reference, allow someone to help you before you give negative feedback.