Genchi Genbutsu
Genchi Genbutsu, Toyota Master Technician
Experience:  Toyota Certified Master Diagnostic Technician, ASE Master Technician with L1 Advanced Engine

2002 Toyota Camry will not start. Battery good, starter good.

2002 Toyota Camry will not start. Battery good, starter good. Like ignition switch not getting voltage to the solenoid. What could be wrong in the starter circuit?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Genchi Genbutsu replied 7 years ago.

What does the engine do when it doesnt start?

Does the engine turn over but not start? or Nothing happens when you turn the key?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yea, nothing happens when turning the key.

I take it, that this doesn't happen everytime. Just sometimes, yes?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yea. Well, this is my neighbor's car. I tried to help her last night. We took starter out and had it tested, and the starter is good. I think maybe starter circuit bad or something. But yes, she said it happened sometimes before, then she got a new battery a month ago or so. And now it happening again.

It is the starter going bad. The old Toyota starters use a contact type solenoid that would produce a 'clicking' type warning when going bad. The fix for those was to replace the contacts inside. Like this..

Here's a video of replacing them on a Rav4 in the car...

The problem is that with the 2002 Camry, Toyota replaced that type starter with the reduction gear type and there's no contacts to replace. You just replace the whole starter and with that there is also no more 'Clicking' to warn you that the starter is going bad. It will just quite at random and then work again.

Please make sure the battery is good first.

Thanks, Genchi

Please ask more of me if needed.