MoMasterTech, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Nissan/Infiniti Master Technician, ASE Master Technician, L1 certified technician

How to replace check engine light in toyota corolla 1999

Customer Question

how to replace check engine light in toyota corolla 1999
Category: Toyota
Expert:  MoMasterTech replied 7 years ago.

1st make sure that the engine light bulb does not illuminate when turning the key to the on position-it should.

The process for removing the cluster and gaining access to the check engine light bulb is as follows: (1)Unhook battery and wait at least 10 minutes(disabling the air bag system), (2)Remove driver's air bag and steering wheel (mark steering wheel to steering shaft teeth to asist with reinstallation later if it's not premarked from the factory), (3)Remove the screws holding in the instrument panel cluster finish panel and then remove it, (4)Remove the instrument panel retaining screws, (5)Remove connectors from rear of instrument panel and then remove the instrument cluster.

When you are done and you reinstall the steering wheel make sure that the spiral cable is centered and that the steering wheel to steering shaft mark are aligned. Below is a picture to asist you.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
that is a mostly wrong answer that took 6 and a half hours to get . i figured out how to do it without your help which was needlessly complicated. You can the get panel off and past the steering wheel with out removing the wheel or airbag . you can easily change the bulb without removing the wiring harness. i am glad you took so long to answer so i didnt follow your directions.

First of all I am sorry for your wait. Second of all the procedure I forwarded to you is the procedure from Toyota for doing this job. If you found an easier way thats awesome. Unfortunately most of us must rely on manuals for standard procedures since it's impossible to remember the shortcut on every job without seeing the vehicle. I hope you'll consider using this service again and I'll forward this to a moderator to see if a refund is possible for your situation.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I aready wrote saying the help took a very long time to get to me and i thought of a better solution , and perhaps i never should have tried to use this service . I thought i didnt have to pay if i wasnt happy . That is what it says on the web sight . Does this mean i wont get a refund ?

I'm only ablt to request your refund for you from my position-and I've done so. I don't believe it will be a problem. And thanks again