Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic

My 2006 Toyota Sienna suddenly has a blinking airbag light

My 2006 Toyota Sienna suddenly has a blinking airbag light and I am far away on vacation. What could be causing this? Can it be reset? Is it safe to drive 1,000 miles home until I can get it in to the dealer?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 7 years ago.

Airbag or SRS lights do not blink when there is a malfunction. This warning light is the picture of a little man sitting in a chair with his seatbelt on with a red ball in his lap. If the light that is flashing his only the seatbelt warning light this is different from the SRS warning light. This light normally means that one of the seatbelts is not connected or the seatbelt warning system does not see that the belt has been fully retracted. Consult your owner's manual to verify which warning light you are referring to. If the SRS warning light is on steady then your airbag system will not deploy in the event of an accident. If the light that is flashing is strictly the seatbelt warning light then your SRS system will function normally and you should be okay to drive home. If you can post a picture of the light that is flashing I may be able to help you further I will be going off-line shortly and can check back with you tomorrow if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It is not the seatbelt light, it must be the srs light that you are referring to. It is indeed the picture of the man with the red ball in his lap. I am unable to send a picture and don't have my user manual with me (imagine that-lol)! It steadily blinks off and on-help!!!

If the light is flashing as you say and is the one as you describe there is some type of malfunction in the SRS airbag system. This will not affect your drivability or performance of your vehicle. This is probably not something that you're going to be able to get diagnosed or repaired while you're on vacation short of going to a dealer where you're at. My suggestion would be to take the vehicle to your local dealer where you live and have them run a diagnostic code check on the SRS system. If you want a second opinion on the malfunction codes or what they're telling you needs to be repaired just reply back to this post. Please be advised that if you are involved in a frontal collision or side collision the airbags will not deploy whenever the SRS warning light is on or flashing as your case may be.