Genchi Genbutsu
Genchi Genbutsu, Toyota Master Technician
Experience:  Toyota Certified Master Diagnostic Technician, ASE Master Technician with L1 Advanced Engine

I want to recharge the AC in my 2000 Toyota Sienna van. Do

Customer Question

I want to recharge the AC in my 2000 Toyota Sienna van. Do I just connect to the silver can on the left side of the engine compartment?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Genchi Genbutsu replied 7 years ago.

There are 2 fitting on the a/c system and they are different sizes. One is larger than the other and the tops of the caps are marked with a 'H' for the High pressure side and 'L' for the Low pressure side. You will want to recharge from the Low pressure side. The can you are using should also only fit the low side anyway.

Thanks, Genchi

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I see the silver can with an H on the top valve, but there are no other valves that I can locate - so where is the low pressure side?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The hose seems to fit on the H capped side, if I even have the right one!

Here is the best pic the manual has..

It shows it along the passanger side fender area.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Is it reachable from the top of the engine area or will I need to climb underneath?

You can reach it from the top.

Have you read the instructions on the can yet?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes, it just says to find the low pressure valve to connect. I think I have set up the can part. So if I follow the line from the shiny can should it lead to the valve, because I have tried from above and underneath and I wonder if I am following the wrong line. Did you get this question, because my computer was temporarily offline....

Follow the metal line the is larger than the other one. It will run along the passanger side of the engine compartment and maybe in front of the radiator by the bumper.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
does it have insulation around part of it? There is a cap that has some wiring at the top of it - that's not it, is it?

No, it will look just like the high side. like these..

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

That pic does not look at all like the part I am looking at in my toyota sienna van engine. Am I correctly looking at a shiny can with one valve on top that has a grey cap marked H that I think must be the high pressure valve. But where is the low pressure valve - do you have any toyota pictures or drawings?

I have helped as much as I can without standing there with you. I will now opt out and see if another expert can help you find it.

As a note, if you are this inexperienced with auto repair, you may want to seek a professional repair shop as this type repair can lead to personal injury and damage the environment as well as violate EPA Laws.

Here is a great site to find a professional shop..

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Genchi suggested that we find professional help, so we went to the neighborhood auto store and they helped us. I am afraid that Genchi gave us the wrong diagrams and photos for our car's air conditioning system, even though the book page looked as though it should be, but it was not. Therefore, we did not use the advice and it did not help us other than to go get help.

So we did not use the suggestions other than the one to seek elsewhere.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

If the advice did not help us are we obligated to pay?