Toyotapro
Toyotapro, ASE master tech
Experience:  ASE Certified, 10+ years Lexus and Toyota Certified
9414525

I have a 2000 Toyota Sienna. The headlight are not working

I have a 2000 Toyota Sienna. The headlight are not working properly. No brights and with the engine running the low beam headlights work only in the center switch position. Turn it to
full on and they die. Fuses check good under the hood and the relay there seems to work. Are there any other fuses or relays under the steering column?

Thank you for using just answer.

Clarify this.....

Brights don't work at all right?

You stated low beams operate only in certain positions.....does this van have DRL's? Does it have "auto" lamps?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Correct, the brights do not work at any switch position. In fact when the switch is in the normal ON position for night driving the headlights do not work at all. If I turn the switch to the middle position the low beams work (running lights) but when the switch is flipped to bright they go out entirely. Not very good at night!
I don't know what DRL is or "auto" lamps hey if its a computer or
PA system I can fix it but I don't do vans...

Does your headlamp switch have a position on them labeled "AUTO"?

DRL is daytime running lamps.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Gee, had to go look. The headlight switch has OFF then a second position only marked with a short line - then the full on position designated by a headlamp. Nothing labeled "auto" and I believe that the DRLights are what I've been using at night for a few days. It is
about the same as low-beam lights. Again, when I kick it to high beam they die.

ok, so just to clarify here the low beam Headlamps (and all the rear parking lamps...be sure of this) operte when in the second position then correct?

Have you tried replacing the headlamp bulbs yet?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
OK when I start the vehicle and turn it to the middle position the rear parking lamps work, brake lights work, and the low beam DRL lights are working. Hit the bright switch and no headlights. I did not change the bulbs, I just didn't think they would both fail at once...

I sometimes run into some of the craziest situations like this because the filaments in the headlamps short out and cause backfeeds in the circuits. $30 in bulbs to save $400 in complex electrical diagnostic charges is $$$ well spend for the at home do it yourselfer even if the don't fix the issue.

Replace both headlamp bulbs and retest this issue. If it does not resolve the issue (and it may well do so) then the system needs to be checked with a meter and a schematic, the headlamp switch may be internally shorted here.