Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

how to replace timing belt in 1998 toyota rav4

Category: Toyota
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

Below are directions for timing belt replacement on your engine:

The timing belt is not adjustable.

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
    CAUTION To avoid air bag deployment, if equipped, work must be started after approximately 90 seconds or longer from the time the ignition switch is turned to the LOCK position and the negative battery cable is disconnected from the battery.
  2. Disconnect the power steering reservoir tank and remove the reservoir bracket.
  3. Detach the wiring harness bracket for the Data Link Connector 1 (DLC1).
  4. Remove the alternator and alternator bracket.
  5. If equipped with ABS brakes, remove the ABS actuator.
  6. Remove the right front wheel and the fender apron seal.
  7. Remove the power steering drive belt.
  8. Slightly raise the engine using a block of wood and floor jack under the oil pan to prevent damage.
  9. Remove the 4 bolts, 2 nuts, and right-hand mounting bracket.
  10. Remove the spark plugs.
  11. Using SST 09213-54015, or equivalent, loosen the crankshaft pulley bolt and remove it by pulling it straight off the crankshaft.
  12. Using SST 09249-63010, or equivalent, loosen the retaining bolts and remove the right engine mounting bracket.
  13. Remove the upper (No. 2) timing belt cover.
  14. Install the crankshaft pulley to the crankshaft and temporarily install the retaining bolt.
  15. Turn the crankshaft pulley and align its groove with the timing mark 0 of the No. 1 timing belt cover. Check that the hole of the camshaft timing pulley is aligned with the timing mark of the bearing cap. If not, turn the crankshaft 360 degrees and align the marks.
    NOTE If the timing belt is to be reused, matchmark the timing belt to the timing pulleys and timing belt covers so the belt can be reinstalled in its original position. Also, be sure to mark an arrow on the belt to indicate which direction it was turning.
  16. Remove the timing belt from the camshaft timing pulley.
  17. Hold the camshaft sprocket with a spanner wrench and remove the mounting bolt. Remove the camshaft pulley.
  18. Remove the crankshaft pulley bolt and remove the crankshaft pulley.
  19. Remove the No. 1 timing belt cover.
  20. Remove the timing belt guide and the timing belt.
  21. Remove the No. 1 idler pulley and tension spring.
  22. Remove the No. 2 idler pulley.
  23. Remove the crankshaft timing pulley.
  24. Support the oil pump sprocket with a spanner wrench, then remove the mounting bolt and remove the sprocket.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. It is necessary to align the timing reference indicators prior to removing the timing belt-Toyota RAV4 2.0L (3S-FE) engine

To install:

1. Install the oil pump pulley. Tighten the nut to 18 ft. lbs. (24 Nm).
  2. Install the crankshaft timing pulley. Align the pulley set key with the key groove of the pulley. Slide on the pulley facing the flange side inward.
  3. Install the No. 2 idler pulley and tighten the mounting bolt to 31 ft. lbs. (42 Nm). Be sure that the pulley moves smoothly.
  4. Install the No. 1 idler pulley with the bolt and the tension spring. Pry the pulley toward the left as far as it will go and tighten the bolt. Make sure that the pulley moves smoothly.
  5. Temporarily install the timing belt. Using the crankshaft pulley bolt, turn the crankshaft and position the key groove of the crankshaft timing pulley upward. If reusing the timing belt, align the points marked during removal.
  6. Install the timing belt on the crankshaft timing pulley, oil pump pulley, No. 1 idler pulley, water pump pulley and the No. 2 idler pulley.
  7. Install the timing belt guide.
    NOTE If the old timing belt is being reinstalled, be sure the directional arrow is facing in the original direction and that the belt and sprocket/cover matchmarks are properly aligned.
  8. Install the lower (No. 1) timing belt cover and new gasket with the 4 bolts.
  9. Align the crankshaft pulley set key with the pulley key groove. Temporarily install the crankshaft pulley and bolt.
  10. Align the camshaft knock pin with the groove of the pulley, and slide the timing pulley onto the camshaft with the plate washer and set bolt.
  11. Tighten the pulley set bolt to 40 ft. lbs. (54 Nm).
    WARNING If any binding is felt when adjusting the timing belt tension by turning the crankshaft, STOP turning the engine, because the pistons may be hitting the valves.
  12. Turn the crankshaft pulley and align the 0 mark on the lower (No. 1) timing belt cover.
  13. Finish installing the timing belt and check the valve timing, as follows:
    1. If reusing the old timing belt, align the matchmarks made previously and install the timing belt onto the camshaft pulley.
    2. Align the marks on the timing belt with the marks on the camshaft pulley.
    3. Loosen the No. 1 idler pulley set bolt 1 / 2 turn.
    4. Turn the crankshaft pulley 2 complete revolutions TDC to TDC. ALWAYS turn the crankshaft CLOCKWISE. Check that the pulleys are still in alignment with the timing marks.
    5. If the No. 1 idler pulley uses a green tension spring, slowly turn the crankshaft pulley 1 7 / 8 revolutions, and align its groove with the mark at 45 degrees BTDC (for the No. 1 cylinder) of the No. 1 timing belt cover.
    6. Tighten the No. 1 idler pulley set bolt to 31 ft. lbs. (42 Nm).
    7. Be sure there is belt tension between the crankshaft and camshaft timing pulleys.

14. Place the right-hand engine mounting bracket in position but do not install the bolts.
  15. Install the upper (No. 2) timing cover with a new gasket(s).
  16. Remove the engine crankshaft pulley bolt and pulley.
  17. Using SST 09249-63010, or equivalent, install the mounting bolts for the right-hand mounting bracket. Tighten the mounting bolts to 38 ft. lbs. (52 Nm).
  18. Align the crankshaft pulley set key with the pulley key groove. Install the pulley. Tighten the pulley bolt to 80 ft. lbs. (108 Nm).
  19. Install the spark plugs.
  20. Install the right-hand mounting insulator, as follows:
    1. Attach the mounting insulator to the body and mounting bracket with the 4 bolts and 2 nuts.
    2. Tighten the 3 bolts to hold the mounting insulator to the body. Tighten the bolts to 47 ft. lbs. (64 Nm).
    3. Tighten the 2 nuts and bolt to hold the mounting insulator to the mounting bracket. Tighten the bolt to 27 ft. lbs. (37 Nm) and the nut to 38 ft. lbs. (52 Nm).

21. Install and adjust the power steering pump drive belt.
  22. Install the right-hand engine undercover.
  23. Install the right front wheel.
  24. Lower the engine.
  25. If equipped, install the ABS actuator.
  26. Install the alternator and alternator bracket.
  27. Install the wiring harness bracket for the DLC1.
  28. Install the power steering reservoir bracket and reservoir.
  29. Connect the negative battery cable.
  30. Start the engine and check the timing.
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.