Toyotapro
Toyotapro, ASE master tech
Experience:  ASE Certified, 10+ years Lexus and Toyota Certified
9414525

94 toyota Camry: fuses..V6..drivers side relay box..car started

where are the relay and fuses for a 94 toyota Camry V6 wagon located? Relay slot in drivers side relay box appears to be unused and blocked by a white plastic insert. Fuel pump will not run, although car started easily recently. Haynes Repair Manual seems to indicate a relay should be in place in Relay box. Are there any fuses for this system other than those in the drivers side engine compartment box? How would you suggest troubleshooting this problem?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for using just answer.
Before you overcomplicate this diagnosis lets establish a few prechecks.
1- did the car die while driving or just won't start all the sudden?
2- any repairs or events before this issue happened?
3- How do you know that the fuel pump is not operating?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
1. Cr has been sitting in driveway for 2 yrs. We got it running ~ one month ago and it sat while my son got insurance. When we tried to re-start it to get it inspected it would not start.

2. My son re-charged battery to get it running but nothing after that.

3. I removed back seat and we have listened for fuel pump when turning switch on - no sound. There is a worn wire at fuel pump connection, but it does not appear to be the problem.

Thinking it to be an electrical problem, I started checking fuses and relays. I am mystified by the lack of the fuel pump relay in the relay box - is it somewhere else? need to get my volt/ohm meter from work to check continuity on circuits. Need a bit of help here as well.

One thing that does concern me is that the engine seems to be turning over VERY EASILY. Could I have broken a timing belt? It has been sitting for a while!
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 5 years ago.
That was where I was hoping this would go, not that I wish that this is the issue but it is easier to identify, sometimes i find here that asking the right questions gets the answer....long story short here the fuel pump on this car does not prime or power from key position like an american car, the ECM watches engine rotational speed and when the engine is turning it power the circuit opening rela to power the fuel pump. So no engine cranking or running and no fuel pump.
If the timing belt breaks then yes the cam and crank sensors are interrupted, engine turning over too easy usually means broken or jumped timing belt which commonly causes this. Get the belt issue resolved and the fuel pump issue will be resolved also.
Toyotapro, ASE master tech
Experience: ASE Certified, 10+ years Lexus and Toyota Certified
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks - that makes sense to me! Wished it weren't the timing belt, but given the age and mileage (254K!)of the vehicle and the time it has sat, perhaps not surprising. I happened on this site and will use it again.