Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

2005 camry: keyless entry..quit working..working except

Customer Question

The keyless entry for my 2005 camry quit working. Actually it started working intermittedly. I changed the battery and it started working except that sometimes it wouldn't. I took it to an electronics friend of mine, he checked out the battery and the circuts and said the circuts in the fob were find and the battery was 3.9 volts. Problem is it won't open anything. So my questions. 1) is there a fuse that has something to do with my problem. 2) My friend said it may be the reciever, can you tell me where it is and how to check it out? 3) what do you suggest?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 7 years ago.

If the door locks are working from the switches inside and the key in the lock cylinder opens the doors all the way around with the double unlock method the problem is not fuse or power related. 90% of the time the problem is in the transmitter. If you are 100% certain that the battery is the correct one and installed properly then you are going to find that the remote is no good. The receiver is unlikely bad in the car. The remotes are the weak point on this system. If you want a good price on a factory remote go to www.metrotoyotapartsnow.com Try to stay away after market remotes they are a problem to program and won't last. You get what you pay for in this life.

Do you have any other remotes that work or have you tried them? These remotes are model and year specific. They may look the same but will not work.

Skyvisions

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
<p> </p><p>How do I check the remote to see if it is bad? </p>

Honestly there is no accurate way. At the dealer we have an RF transmitter tester. Even using this I have tested remotes and they put out a good signal but still would not work on the car or even program to the car. I went and got a new remote and it programs perfectly to the customers car and worked good. So go figure why, I just know that it is a pain in the neck to diagnose. Again do not succumb to the temptation of buying a cheap remote.

Skyvisions