Toyotapro
Toyotapro, ASE master tech
Experience:  ASE Certified, 10+ years Lexus and Toyota Certified
9414525

how do i change the transmission fluid on a 2006 toyota tundra

Customer Question

how do i change the transmission fluid on a 2006 toyota tundra and does it need a filter change
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for trusting Just Answer with your Toyota question. How many miles do you have on your truck? You do not need a filter change unless it has driveability issues, and the fluid does not need changing until 100,000 miles.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My Toyota Tundra has 60,000 miles on it. I know the dealer says not to change the oil until 100,000 but a friend of mine has the same truck same year and his transmission started slipping at 65,000 miles. This happened one year ago. I just want to be prepared. What i really want to know is how do I refill the transmission oil due to the truck not having a dipstick.

Expert:  Toyotapro replied 5 years ago.
2 plugs on the botom of the pan, the 14mm one that is lower is the drain plug, don't ever touch this. the upper one on the pan with the 5mm hex plug is the check plug, the truck has to be warmed up and running in park on level ground, the fluid trackles out of this hole to veify the level is correct.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How do I refill the oil if I change it.
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 5 years ago.
you don't change it, if you do that then you end up like your firend with 65,000 miles.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My friend's truck started slipping because it was missing oil. He took it to the dealer and had a oil change with a new filter replaced and it started working fine again. I try to service the cars that I own myself. What type of tool do I use to refill the oil.
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 5 years ago.
That is pretty much my thought, the transmissions starting in 2005 on the tundra's are prety much bullet proof but I commonly see these becoem victim of low fluid after they are accidentally partially drained usually by quick lubes that do no know any better. To refill this unit requires the special WS fluid and a special pump tool that adapts to a 22mm plug on the driver side that is only found at the dealer.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have found the 22mm plug and removed it but it still does not give me an opening to pump the oil in. It has a thin triangular looking top that looks like it could be turned with a wrench. Could this be the opening once turned.
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 5 years ago.
no that's not it, you need to stop messing with this unit before you end up paying to replace it. Are you not telling me something here and you actually drained your transmission? Because if that is the case you need to call a tow truck and get this towed to a dealer asap.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have not begun any work on the transmission and I won't unless I really know what I'm doing. I've been doing about 6 months of research on this job and i feel like I'm almost ready.
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 5 years ago.
No you are not, I onl posted to this because your other expert was offline and this will be the last post I put on this thread, you cannot work on your own transmission and you cannot service it yourself, this system was intentionally sealed for a reason. Touch it if you like but I have tried to tell you several times now that you cannot do this and risk purchasing a new transmission if you do so. It's your truck and your call, good luck.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I also own a 2005 cadillac sts. I took the car in to get a simple oil change. The experts only put in two quarts of mobil 1 into my car. I ran the car for about a month until it started acting really funny. I checked the oil and I had to ad 5 quarts of oil. A 45,000 dollar car. Could you imagine that. Thats when it was time to start working on my own cars.