CJ
CJ, Toyota Master & ASE Master
Experience:  ASE Master, Toyota Master Tech, Hybrid Certified, 24+ years Experience, Last 20 years with Toyota
16838557

1991 Toyota Celica: convertible..liter engine..shift..overdrive

I have a 1991 Toyota Celica convertible with a 2.2 liter engine. It does not shift into overdrive at any speed.

What should I be checking and how do I check it? Just for your information I have flushed the transmission and the pan is still off.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  CJ replied 7 years ago.

Look on page AT-25 of the first document for a diagnostic flow chart to diagnose a no overdrive condition and the second document (AT-19)contains the instructions to do the the manual shift test that you are told to do in the first document.

Click Here Diagnostic flow chart

Click Here Manual Shift Test

CJ

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The last line of the manual test page says take the car out of diagnost mode and referances a page I don't have. What do I do now   
Expert:  CJ replied 7 years ago.

What it says is to cancel the diagnostic "code." If you don't have a check engine light or a flashing overdrive light then you don't have a code. If it went into overdrive witht he manual test, then you have either a bad overdrive shift solenoid, if it does not go into overdrive witht he manul test, repair or replace your transmission because the failure is internal.

CJ

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you very much.