Boxer54, Toyota Technician
Experience:  ASE Master tech with L1 certification, Toyota Master Diagnostic Technician

how do I change the brakes on a 2003 toyota highlander

how do I change the brakes on a 2003 toyota highlander?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for trusting Just Answer with your Toyota question. I will need a little more information to best assist you. Are we dealing with the front or rear brakes? Have you started this repair, or just looking for initial information? Have you purchased replacement pads? If so, from where, and what brand? Do you plan on having the rotors resurfaced (recommended), or simply changing the pads?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
hi, i plan on purchasing toyota pads. I have not started this repair and believe I need to do front and rear pads without resurfacing (unless grooved then I will have them resurfaced but think this was done by the dealer last time). I have done many brake jobs but not with abs.
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 7 years ago.

OK, does this vehicle have rear disc or drum?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 7 years ago.
OK, the process for the brake pad replacement is the same whether we are dealing with ABS, or non ABS vehicles. If you do not want to resurface the rotors, then you will just need to remove the slide pin bolts and remove the caliper. Then the pads can be installed in the caliper bracket and the caliper reinstalled after being compressed. Remember to lube the slides really well. Also, make sure you check the rear brake pads before purchasing new ones. It is very rare, and only on high mileage vehicles that we change the rear pads. They last a LONG time. If you need more detail, just ask, and I'll be happy to help.