AutoTech08, Workshop owner
Experience:  Diploma in Automotive Engineering, 30 years working experience.

Non-starting 1994 Landcruiser J80

Non starting 1994 Landcruiser J80

Normally runs like a sewing machine. Three days ago my wife returned from 1600 round trip - no problems. Two days ago, she backed out of drive to let my car out (the Sienna you helped me with last year) - again no problems. But when I got home from work, she told me it wouldn't start.
Tried it - spins over freely - but nothing. Noticed fuel gauge near zero. Hoping (but not really expecting) that was the problem, so added two gallons. No difference.
Still sounds like fuel, so poured a little gas into air filter housing, closed it and tried again. Started immediately but died right away. Repeated - same.
Now I know its fuel. Looked for something loose.
Found hose from canister to vacuum control valve (under inlet manifold) is disconnected. Reconnected - no difference. No other loose connections on vacuum system.
Connection to fuel pump relay is secure.
What do you think?

(I have an OBD-II scanner, but no access port found.)

Hi there,

OBD II access port are only available for 1996 and later models. The vehicle should be equipped with a DLC ( Data Link Connector) for diagnostics.

Here are the procedures for testing the fuel pump.

1. Install Jumper Wire between +B and FP terminals of data link connector. Data link connector is located in engine compartment.

2. Turn ignition on. Listen for fuel pump operating sound and feel for pressure in fuel line near fuel filter. Turn ignition off. Remove jumper wire. If fuel pump operates, check fuel pressure.

3. If fuel pump does not operate, connect a jumper wire from positive battery terminal to FP terminal of data link connector. If fuel pump operates, EFI main relay, EFI No. 2 relay, circuit opening relay or fuel pump relay may be defective.

4. If relays are okay, check wiring circuit and fuses. If fuel pump does not operate, check for defective fuel pump, open circuit between data link connector and fuel pump, or defective fuel pump ground.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
OK - I am now back. Thanks for responding. I did notice the "Data Link Connector" Let me go try your suggestion, and I will be right back.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
OK here is what I have found.
1. Connected +B and FP, turned on ignition -- nothing
2. Connected jumper wire from +ve terminal battery to FP.
With ignition off, fuel pump relay (looks like a heat sink on right side fire wall of engine compartment) buzzes.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
With ignition off, buzzing stops but fuel pump does not operate.

What should I check next?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
With ignition ON, buzzing stops but fuel pump does not operate.

By applying voltage to the FP terminal, the fuel pump is being energized directly. If the fuel pump does not work, either the fuel pump or its wiring is bad. you would have to check on that.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks - your directions are very clear. Do you moonlight as an English teacher?

Thanks for the ACEPT and compliments.

For daily use my Englishh is ok, for teaching, well, I don't think I am up to the mark. ;)

Give the fuel tank some slight knock and you might get the fuel pump running. If it runs, though it might not last, it can at least get the engine started to let you move the vehicle if required and can eliminate the process of checking the wiring for faults.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the bonus information -- and the laugh!

(You do not have to answer this - I have already had my money's worth - but I am puzzled by the connector to the fuel pump relay. There are only TWO wires visible. How can a relay have only two wires? And why does it buzz when I energize the FP terminal?)

When there are any questions left, it means my job is not done yet. You must be refering to the fuel pump resistor which carries only 2 wires.

There are 2 relays that controls the fuel pump. Attached is a diagram for your understanding of the system. Had to break them down to be legible.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks - won't bother you again.

I will ask for you with my next problem -- there's bound to be one!

Ok Jack, till then.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Installed new fuel pump - easy job - started first time!

Mission accomplished :)

Have a nice day.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks - you too - I left feedback, and will ask for you in future,

Thank you :)