Boxer54
Boxer54, Toyota Technician
Experience:  ASE Master tech with L1 certification, Toyota Master Diagnostic Technician
12613057

How do I bypass engine immobilizer of toyato camry 98

Customer Question

how do I bypass engine immobilizer of toyato camry 98
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for trusting Just Answer with your Toyota question. There is no way to bypass the immobiliser. What is the problem you are having?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Engine won't start. My key can shut the alarm off but the engine won't start. Hear click noise from the the starter.
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 5 years ago.
Normally, this would be a starter issue. These starters have replaceable contacts in the solenoid that tend to wear and get a bad connection. These are serviceable and the starter motor does not need replacement. The contacts can be purchased at your local dealer very inexpensively and are easily replaced. The only other thing to consider is possibly a weak battery, in which case a jump start would get you going.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Just recharged the battery at Autozone this afternoon. It still does not work. Don't belive it is a starter problem because the problem came with alarm went off even I used my key to shut off the alarm.
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 5 years ago.
<p>If battery is fully charged, and starter is clicking, it is a starter issue. This can be verified if you have a 12V test light. Do you have access to one?</p>
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No I don't. But my friends might have one. How can I test if it is starter problem?
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 5 years ago.
Clip the test light wire to the neg battery cable or other GOOD ground. With the tip of the test light, back probe, without disconnecting, the small connector on the starter. Have someone help you and turn the key to start. If the light lights up, you have verified your starter issue.
Boxer54, Toyota Technician
Experience: ASE Master tech with L1 certification, Toyota Master Diagnostic Technician
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks. I will try it tomorow. If it works, I will be very happy to accept the answer. I had the same problem yesterday morning, I thought the moisture from the rain over night caused the immobilizer malfunctioning. So I open the hood for a day and it worked, I can start my engine last night and this morning. This afternnon I got same problem. Enginee won't start with alarm went off. Do you think it might be any reason other than the starter issue?

Expert:  Boxer54 replied 5 years ago.
Sounds like starter. Immobiliser components are under dash, not underhood. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX me know what becomes of it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am sorry for the delay. Just got the car working today. The starter is good but the cylinoid might be bad. Changed the whole thing. Thanks for your help
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 5 years ago.
The solenoid is where the contacts are. Glad to hear you got it going. Let me know if we can help you with anything else.