Toyotapro, ASE master tech
Experience:  ASE Certified, 10+ years Lexus and Toyota Certified

94 Toyota Corolla: a front passenger side window that wont go up

I have a '94 Toyota Corolla with a front passenger side window that won't go up. It'll go down, but won't come back up. How do I fix this. The motor works fine on the lever, but won't bite to bring it up.
Thank you for using just answer.
Manual or power windows?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

What do you need to know?

I asked above if this is power or manual windows, the way you worded your question is not 100% clear on this. Please clarify so we can proceed, thanks.
You opened another question, reply HERE not open new questions please.
Are you on a PC or a phone? You cannot reply to e-mails that are automatically generated, you must be logged into this site and typing here. Please answer my question so I can help.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I am on a PC and waiting.

Thanks. I am sorry for the confusion.

Power windows on the car or manual windows?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Power windows.

I originally wrote that the "motor" in the window was good and that it lowers, it just doesn't go up.

I saw that but your "bite" comment made me question it.
Have you tried both the switch on the driver door and on the passenger door?
Do you have access to tools if needed here?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Yes, I have tried both driver side and passenger sides and neither work. I do have some tools, but possibly not everything you might suggest.

Do you have a test light or a volt meter?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Yes on the Volt meter, and I am not sure what a test light is.

I don't think it's got anything to do with the power since the motor works fine at lowering the window and the pulley turns fine. I don't know. I am all ears at this point and willing to try anything.

NOt saying it's a motor, I want to run a few simple checks. Can you get the window switch out on the passenger door?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Yes, I had it taken apart a couple hours ago to try and get it on line, but no success.

It will take a few minutes, but I can un hook the two clips again.

Yes pull the switch out, I will look at the wiring in the mean time while you do that. Just reply when ready.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Roger, I'll reply again when ready.
ok, also while you are in there push the window button up and down, can you hear the motor moving if yo uhold your ear up to the door in either position or both?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
OK, just pulled both ends to the power and no, I can't hear or feel any motor or pulley moving on the up or down. It's as if the window is just hanging there and falling from its own weight. It's all loose in the sleeve of the door. The motor does force it down if I lift it and then push the button down though.
Ok, I think I know what we are dealing with here then, to clarify this 100%.....if you grab the window glass you can move it up/down/around by hand right?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Ok, this is a common issue on the 1994 corolla. You threw me off a little earlier with the statement that you can move the window down but not up, i wasw picturing you rolling the window down normally but no response back upward with a firmly positioned glass.

Long story short here the window regulator has come apart.
The window is bolted to a cable and pulley system called a regulator, the window motor moves the cables to pull the window up or down, what hapens is that the cables come apart or snap and then jam up, this allow the window to move around and cannot be operated.
The repair here is as simple as a new regulator, do be aware that motor MAY have been damaged from operation with a broken cable. At this point the regulator needs to be removed, the window motor then needs to be removed form the regulator to check for damage and also to see if the window motor will operate again once seperated. If the window motor is damaged or will no longer operate then the motor AND regulator need to be replaced. This is a a little tricky repair as the motor connection point is very easy to damage or seperate when servicing. Sorry for the bad luck, hope this helps.