Kyle N.
Kyle N., Toyota Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Auto Technician, L1 certified, CA. Smog Lic.
652461

Malfunction light on 2003 Toyota Camry instrument panel goes on

Customer Question

Category: Toyota
Expert:  Kyle N. replied 7 years ago.
I would take the vehicle to a place like Autozone or Advanced Auto and have it scanned for free. If you post the exact code I can help you figure it out.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
test-admin
Expert:  Kyle N. replied 7 years ago.
Huh?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I cannot find code number. However the manual suggests that it may be the malfunction of the polution control system...among other things. My local mechanic via phone also suggests that it has failed to re-set the maintenence due warning, or a loose gas filler cap.
He indicated that I should drive it around for a week and it the light doesn't go off by itself, bring it to a dealer. This seems fuzzy as an answer. Is it O.K. to drive it around for a week as he suggested?
Expert:  Kyle N. replied 7 years ago.
Okay,
Your mechanic is correct about driving it as long as the light doesn't flash while driving it down the road. If it starts flashing then you shouldn't drive it or it will damage your cat. converter. You can try driving it a week after tightening the fuel cap. If it's the fuel cap being loose that set the light then it will go away in a week. If not you'll need to have the computer scanned and post the code here so I can help you further it down.