CJ
CJ, Toyota Master & ASE Master
Experience:  ASE Master, Toyota Master Tech, Hybrid Certified, 24+ years Experience, Last 20 years with Toyota

How do I remove the rear brake disc/drum from a Toyota Prado

How do I remove the rear brake disc/drum from a Toyota Prado VX to check the wear on the inner handbrake shoes. when I try to remove the disc, it is catching on the inner shoes.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  CJ replied 5 years ago.

There should be a rubber plug on the fron hub surface of the rotor, remove the plug and turn the rotor until you can see the adjuster throught the hole. Using a flat blade screw driver or brake adjusting tool, back off the adjuster until you can remove the rotor/drum.

Here are the complete instructions for the parking brake system drum and shoe removal and replacement.

DISASSEMBLY

1. REMOVE REAR WHEEL
  2. REMOVE REAR DISC BRAKE ASSEMBLY
    1. Remove the 2 mounting bolts and remove the disc brake assembly. Torque: 103 Nm (1,050 kgf-cm, 76 ft. lbs.)
    2. Suspend the disc brake securely Ensure that the hose is rust stretched.

1. REMOVE DISC
    1. Place matchmarks on the disc and rear hub.
    2. Remove the disc. HINT: If the disc cannot be removed easily. turn the shoe adjuster until the wheel turns freely.

1. REMOVE TENSION SPRING Using needle-nose pliers, remove the spring, and tension spring.

1. REMOVE SHOE RETURN SPRINGS Using SST, remove the 2 shoe return springs SST 09717-20010 HINT: At the time of installation, using SST, install the rear shoe return spring and then install the front shoe return spring. SST 09718-20010
  2. REMOVE SHOE STRUT WITH SPRING

1. REMOVE REAR SHOE, ADJUSTER AND TENSION SPRING
    1. Slide out the rear shoe and remove the adjuster.
    2. Remove the lower side tension spring.
    3. Remove the 2 shoe hold-down spring cups. spring and pin.

1. REMOVE FRONT SHOE
    1. Slide out the front shoe.
    2. Disconnect the parking brake cable No.2 from the parking brake shoe lever.
    3. Remove the 2 shoe hold-down spring cups, spring and pin.

1. IF NECESSARY, REMOVE AND DISASSEMBLE PARKING BRAKE BELL CRANK ASSEMBLY
    1. Using a screwdriver, remove the C-washer.
    2. Remove the pin and disconnect the parking brake cable No.2 from the bell crank.
    3. Remove the clip and pin.
    4. Disconnect the parking brake cable and remove the clip.
    5. Remove the 2 tension springs.

1. Remove the 2 bolts and parking brake bell crank assembly. Torque: 13 Nm (130 kgf-cm, 9 ft. lbs.)

1. Turn the boot over from parking brake bell crank bracket.
    2. Using a screwdriver, remove the C-washer and pin.
    3. Remove the parking brake bell crank from the bell crank bracket.

INSPECTION

1. INSPECT DISASSEMBLED PARTS Inspect the disassembled parts for wear, rust or damage.

1. MEASURE BRAKE SHOE LINING THICKNESS Using a ruler, measure the thickness of the shoe lining. Standard thickness: 4.0 mm (0.157 inch) Minimum thickness: 1.0 mm (0.039 inch) If the lining thickness is at the minimum thickness or less, or if there is severe and uneven wear, replace the brake shoe.

1. MEASURE BRAKE DISC INSIDE DIAMETER Using brake drum gauge or equivalent, measure the inside diameter of the disc. Standard inside diameter: 230 mm (9.06 inch) Maximum inside diameter: 231 mm (9.09 inch) Replace the disc if the inside diameter is at the maximum value or more. Replace the disc or grind it with a lathe if the disc is scored or is worn unevenly.

1. INSPECT PARKING BRAKE LINING AND DISC FOR PROPER CONTACT Apply chalk to the inside surface of the disc, then grind down the brake shoe lining to fit. If the contact between the disc and the brake shoe lining is improper, repair it using a brake shoe grinder or replace the brake shoe assembly.

1. MEASURE CLEARANCE BETWEEN PARKING BRAKE SHOE AND LEVER Using a feeler gauge, measure the clearance. Standard clearance: Less than 0.25 mm (0.0098 inch)

If the clearance is not within the specification, replace the shim with one of the correct size.

1. IF NECESSARY, REPLACE SHIM

2. Remove the parking brake shoe lever and shim, and install the correct sized shim.

1. Install the parking brake shoe lever with a new C-washer.
  2. Remeasure the clearance.

REASSEMBLY
Reassembly is in the reverse order of disassembly.

NOTICE: Apply high temperature grease and lithium soap base glycol grease to the parts indicated by the arrows.

1. ADJUST PARKING BRAKE SHOE CLEARANCE
    1. Disconnect the parking brake cable from the bell crank.
    2. Remove the bell crank spring.
    3. Loosen the bell crank adjusting bolt.
    4. Temporarily install the 3 hub nuts.
    5. Remove the hole plug.
    6. Turn the adjuster and expand the shoes until the disc locks.
    7. Return the adjuster 8 notches.
    8. Install the hole plug.

1. ADJUST BELL CRANK
    1. Pull the bell crank until all play in the interior linkage is taken up.
    2. Screw in the bell crank adjusting bolt to where it contacts on the dust seal.
    3. Loosen it one turn, and lock it at that position with the lock nut. Torque: 5.4 Nm (55 kgf-cm, 48 inch lbs.)
    4. Install the bell crank spring.
    5. Connect the parking brake cable.
    6. Remove the 3 hub nuts.
  1. SETTLING PARKING BRAKE SHOES AND DISC
    1. Drive the vehicle at about 50 km/h (31 mph) on a safe, level and dry road.
    2. With the parking brake release button pushed in, pull on the lever with 88 N (9 kgf, 19.8 lbs.) of force.
    3. Drive the vehicle for about 400 meters (0.25 mile) in this condition.
    4. Repeat this procedure 2 or 3 times.
  1. RECHECK AND ADJUST PARKING BRAKE LEVER TRAVEL
CJ, Toyota Master & ASE Master
Experience: ASE Master, Toyota Master Tech, Hybrid Certified, 24+ years Experience, Last 20 years with Toyota