Toyotapro, ASE master tech
Experience:  ASE Certified, 10+ years Lexus and Toyota Certified

Toyota Sienna: Leaking..water into front passenger compartment..van

Customer Question

Have a A/C problem in my Toyota Sienna 2000 LE. Leaking water into front passenger compartment... smells like someone threw up in the van. How to fix problem and get smell out?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for using just answer.

Turn on the a/c for 5 minutes and look to see if you have a puddle of water under the passenger side of the van, if not then you most likely have a clogged/restricted a/c drain tube and the water that the system puts off is draining into the van. In this case you will need to crawl under the van and locate the black rubber hose that exits the body on the passenger undercarriage where the firewall and the engine bay meet, clear this hose out with a soft pipe cleaner or VERY LIGHT compressed air. Once you get the water properly flowing out of hte van you need to address the moisture in the van. What I typically do is remove the carpet in teh vehicle and inspect it, if the carpet is wet then I set it out in the sun to dry, if the water has been present for a period of time and the carpet padding is molded/mildewed then I usually REPLACE the carpet and thoroughly clean the floor board.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
What if I do have water flowing out from the undercarriage of the passenger's side of the van? The black housing under the dash on the passenger's side has condensation on it as well.
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 7 years ago.
If the water only enters the van when the a/c is on then I can almost guarantee that the water drain is not properly draining the evaporator case.