CJ, Toyota Master & ASE Master
Experience:  ASE Master, Toyota Master Tech, Hybrid Certified, 24+ years Experience, Last 20 years with Toyota

1995 Toyota Corolla: automatic..hesitation..ok and rev OK in park

1995 Toyota Corolla w/ automatic has hesitation like missing spark (jerky) or starving for fuel. Seems to idle ok and rev OK in park. Worse during acceleration. Not too bad at steady speeds(in town).   I have replaced plugs, wires, cap, rotor, ignition coil (had crack in housing) and fuel filter. Ohm'd TPS and it looks to be OK(no opens). Noted that RF suppression cap in distributor looks to have been hot at one time and sealant(wire end) had melted. RF cap ohm'd not to be shorted.   Had a mechanic check fuel pressure and told me that pressure intermittently dropped out but it came right back.   Fuel presssure issue or spark/ignition module?   Need help.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  CJ replied 7 years ago.

Considering a mechanic has checked the pressure and is telling you it drops off intermittqntly then I would lean more toward a fuel delivery interuption as the cause of missing or jerking. Make sure to check the crankshaft position sensor. I have seen a bad sensor cause this, also seen a slight water pump leak onto the Crank sensor cause this. If that is all good then with the pressure dropping intermittantly, I'd look to the fuel pump as the culprit.